cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MSE Appliance Stops Responding

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

After upgrading our Cisco MSE to 7.4, the appliance does not stay connected to the network.  Once the appliance is restarted, layer 3 echoes occur for about 2 minutes and then stop.  The only way to get it to respond again, is to restart the appliance.  Again, after a few minutes, it stops responding.  I've checked the switch, and there is no port security set up on it.  I've checked ACL's, and other potential culprits to no avail.  The MSE interface is set up, and the device is configured.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.                    

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well that is what I was looking for... so now you need to do the following:

Stop the MSE

service mse stop

Flush the iptables

iptables -F >> flush

Shutdown and reload the MSE

shutdown -r now >> reboot

View eth0 interface

ifconfig -a

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dan,

This forum is for Wireless, and the IME is a voice application.

You'll be better served by moving this question to the Voice sections

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Stephen,

Thank you for correcting me!  I meant the Mobility Services Engine.  My brain is a little fried today.   

Check the status of the MSE:

/etc/init.d/msed status

/etc/init.d/msed stop
To see if anything fails here

/etc/init.d/msed start
To see if anything fails here

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Scott,

That was VERY helpful!  When I do an msed stop and an msed start, the iptables show as failed.  I'm trying to find out why this is occurring. 

Well that is what I was looking for... so now you need to do the following:

Stop the MSE

service mse stop

Flush the iptables

iptables -F >> flush

Shutdown and reload the MSE

shutdown -r now >> reboot

View eth0 interface

ifconfig -a

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott,

Everything came up until the Framework and services started.  an error came on screen that said:

Traceback(most recent call last):

File "/usr/sbin/yum-updatesd", line 40, in ?

import gamin

ImportError: No module name gamin

At this point all layer3 replies stopped. 

Thanks!

Dan

Reboot the MSE again. There is an issue with the gigabit ports and which one comes up first. I would just reboot the MSE and monitor the console.

-Scott

When I submit a reboot, I see a failure on the yumupdates.  It shows [FAILED].  When I hit any key, I'm taken to the prompt.  I login and do a msed status.  Everything shows as working, on the status.  Rebooting again

interesting.....

When I do a network status, the IP is GONE from eth0!  When I do a network reload, it reloads the IP again, and everything works!

I guess when the MSE is rebooted, for any reason, you have to run a network reload just to get the eth0 configuration back!  Thanks Scott!!!

Dan,

That is the issue because it depends which mic cards comes up first. Usually I will set the hardware address and some variables. Here is what I enter:

Enter the following commands after you complete the startup wizard which you already did.

echo IPADDR=10.7.6.10 >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo GATEWAY=10.7.6.1 >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
echo HWADDR=00:1E:67:15:B8:59 >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
ifconfig eth0

/etc/init.d/network restart

Now every time you boot the MSE the interface will stay the same.

Hope this helps too:)

-Scott

Very very helpful!!!  Thank you so much!!  Problem is completely resolved now!

Good to know... at least you can sleep good knowing that your MSE can reboot and it will come up with the correct interface:) haha

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card