cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAT AND PBR On ASA 9.8

NETAD
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, On a ASA we have a internet circuit and an MPLS circuit. Currently the ASA has a default route towards the MPLS. The Inside interface is sliced into multiple sub-interfaces. One of the them is for the guest wireless. We would like to send the guest wireless out of the internet circuit. Can this be accomplished through PBR on ASA. I read that PBR is supported as of 9.4(1). I also read that this might not work with NAT. Here's what I'm planning on doing.

Apply object nat to the guest wireless subnet (NAT to the outside interface)

Create an ACL to match the guest wireless subnet

access-list TEST1 extended permit ip 172.16.12.0 255.255.255.0 any4

create a route-map and match the ACL

!
route-map match-TEST1 permit 10
 match ip address TEST1
 set ip next-hop <ISP>
 set interface outside

apply PBR under sub-interface for the guest wireless.

inter

policy-route route-map <match-TEST1>

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, I dont know how your topology looks like. But, I thing you got the point. Local mode traffic is sent to the WLC and the WLC is responsible for send the traffic out through some interface.

Flexconnect local switching ( keep in mind that you need to configure the SSID as flexconnect Local Switching and the AP as flexconnect )  the AP is responsible to send the traffic out through some vlan.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Hi @NETAD

It is correct. Did you try ? 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa94/config-guides/cli/general/asa-94-general-config/route-policy-based.pdf

I just did this in my lab and it worked. I'm about to test it on the real ASA. I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, must work fine. 

Ok so the issue now is that we're trying to do this for the guest wireless. So looks like the AP is hiding the source IP for the guest traffic and the ASA is not able to match that traffic. I tried configuring the AP in flexconnect mode but that didn't do it. 

I assume that the WLC dynamic interface, mapped to the Guest SSID, connect to the ASA subinterface, right?

The communication between AP and WLC is tunneled so that the traffic that  should be used as source is on the WLC interface.

Flexconnect could work as well. You can put the AP in trunk and the users traffic in a specific vlan. 

The WLC is actually over the WAN and the guest users get their IP's assigned from a DHCP over the over. 

Humm... then you need to use flexconnect. This way the users traffic will be send locally (behind firewall I suppose) and then you can use the PRB.

Otherwise, in Local mode, all the traffic wil be send over the WAN to the WLC.

Correct and I did but the ASA still didn't match the traffic. Don't know if I missed anything for the flexconnect configuration in the WLC or should the clients subnet be local to the remote office? 

Well, I dont know how your topology looks like. But, I thing you got the point. Local mode traffic is sent to the WLC and the WLC is responsible for send the traffic out through some interface.

Flexconnect local switching ( keep in mind that you need to configure the SSID as flexconnect Local Switching and the AP as flexconnect )  the AP is responsible to send the traffic out through some vlan.

Thank you so much.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card