cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NCS Background Tasks - CDP Neighbor Collector

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone happen to know which background task is responsible for the CDP Neighbor information on an Access Point?  In an attempt to trim down ncs (as it's so dog slow) I've disabled a few background tasks (thinking I didn't have switches, or location, or ect so it didn't matter) however, I've lost my CDP information on the APs.

14 Replies 14

scottg.irey
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have the bug id in front of me but there is a sev 1 bug for database issue. Database gets to big and will eat up all of optvol. This will severally effect performance. If its vm add more disk. If its appliance wait for a potential bug fix soon.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

This must be what you are talking about:

CSCua34353 Bug Details

NCS Oracle db size grows causing out of disk space conditions

Symptom:

NCS database grows causing out of disk space and causes services to stop running correctly.

Conditions:

NCS database running on either a virtual or physical appliance experiences this issue.

Workaround:

For information about configuring off-server backups and avoiding this issue, please see the document "NFS for NCS backup purposes" at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25979

For virtual appliances:

Stop NCS, power down the virtual machine, have the VMware administrator add a second virtual hard drive to the existing virtual machine, then contact TAC to set up a WebEx session to have the new space added to the rest of the virtual machine.

For physical appliances:

At this time, there is no workaround for physical appliances; contact TAC for the most up-to-date information

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

scottg.irey
Level 1
Level 1

Yep that's it. Looks like they added a little more to the workaround section since I last looked at it. I got word that there will be a software update soon that will fix it. Not sure how they are going to fix it... Oracle change, data retention modifications etc. probably will never know. Just hope we get the performance back.

Maybe another MIGRATION:)

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Thanks for responding guys.   I called TAC yesterday in regards to the performance problem and their immediate question was to ask what OVA I used on Vmware, which was small, and we are no where near the small-ova's limited (400 AP's, 7 controllers, and 2000 clients).  With that in hand, the response was simple:  download the medium-ova, install it, and migrate your backup of NCS to it as they've noticed the small-ova hardware requirements are not enough.. hmmmmm.. sounds like the issue you mention in some ways, though my optvol is showing 34% usage.   In some ways I wish we went with an appliance as I think any DB and especially Oracle do not fit in a virtual environment.   Any ideas on the CDP issue?

Thanks,

Raun

scottg.irey
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at the release notes looks like this particular bug is fixed in the just released 1.2 Cisco prime infrastructure. Guess we can't call it NCS any more lol.

Funny how the tac engineer who has had my case since may still hasn't notified me that the latest release that fixes my issue is out.

Is 1.2 out?  I don't see the notes or anything, can you provide me a link? 

Hey thanks! I was being dumb and not seeing it.   I wonder what the $$$$$ is to move from NCS to Prime I?

No cost... still the same product (kind of I guess) they have just re-branded it. You can upgrade from NCS 1.1 or 1.0

Well I'll be a....  any idea on how the licensing will work then?  Single license still for any device?

If memory serve's its based on device license count, not device type. As far as I know this is still the same but havent looked. Now that they are adding more switch managment funcionlity that may have changed.

I looked some of the ordering guide and it does appear that there is a minor upgrade license that supposedly was needed to go from NCS 1.0 to 1.1. Didn't see anything on going to 1.2. However I do not know enitrely what this minor release upgrade license from 1.0 to 1.1 entailed and I do not believe they were requiring any new licenses to be installed. They don't appear to be enforcing anythihng. The 1.2 release notes/quick start guide don't reference any thing like that.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The small ova had issues that was fixed in. 1.1.1.24. The bug that was listed, affects all versions, but I don't know about 1.2. Also when using the medium ova or large, you need to follow the requirements for that ova. You should not install the medium using the small ova specs.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card