cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with making sense of Prime Maps!

CSCO11733516
Level 1
Level 1

So this may sound stupid, but I've been extensively testing/configuring our Cisco Prime Infrastructure appliance (running 1.2 ) - which also has a Cisco 3550 MSE and WLC 5508 attached.

I've gotten to the point where I understand most of everything except the Maps. I'm getting ready to deploy the CleanAir Technology.

I'm noticing that the MSE Services are not synchronizing and it appears its because its looking for a Map to be associated first.
Is this true, does this require a map to linked?

So I navigate to the Maps tab and I don't understand the point of the Campus, Building, and Floor maps. Do I need to create one of each of these for MSE to synchronize?
Do these get nested in each other?

What is the point of the maps and each type of map?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

so the maps are for the buildings, not the mse per se.  and yes they are nested.

so for an example

Campus = Cisco-SJ

Building = Bldg-K

Floor = 1

Floor = 2

Floor = 3

Campus = Cisco-RTP

Building = Bldg-4

Floor = 1

Floor = 2

Floor = 3

and so on and so forth

So you can have multiple campuses, which can have multiple buildings, which can have multiple floors

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

johncaston_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Kenneth,

As Stephen mentioned, they are nested. The Campus is effectively the site and you may have multiple Buildings on that site and each building can have multiple floors. You don't need to specify much for the Campus and Building, just the general dimensions and you can position the Buildings on the Campus.

The Floor maps require the actual floor plan loaded, scaled and edited and AP's positioned appropriately.

When you synchronise MSE with this floor plan, it can then determine which AP's belong in that area and can interprete location data, interferers and zones of impact - if you've got Prime, you really want to load up the maps as it gives a good visual representation of your physical wireless network and when synchroised with MSE you can see where the users, Rogue AP's, Interferers and bad guys are

Cheers,

John

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card