cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need to combine 1832 ap to join 9115 ewc

n_lama
Level 1
Level 1

we have 1832 wireless environment, and now need to additional aps, due to eol we can not by 1832 aps.

therefore we are panning to buy catalyst 9115 ewc and use on same environment with 9115 ewc.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

n_lama
Level 1
Level 1

@balaji.bandi 

i think there is no problem on ap tagging and ap join, the problem is on mobility.

and result of "show ap tag summary"

#show ap tag summary
Number of APs: 2
AP Name AP Mac Site Tag Name Policy Tag Name RF Tag Name Misconfigured Tag Source
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AP_1832 68ca.e448.0400 default-site-tag default-policy-tag default-rf-tag No Default
APA_9115 a00f.3717.f488 default-site-tag default-policy-tag default-rf-tag No Default

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure look at the EWC deployment guide and compatability list :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/embedded-wireless-controller-catalyst-access-points/white-paper-c11-743398.html

personally i would suggest to Buy 1 AP of Cat 9115 and convert to EWC and test in your environement before you go mass scale of buying.

if you are moving from 1832 to all to Cat 9115 that is the case not an issue, if you mixing both 1832 and 9115 in same environment, you have mixed outcomes.

either you use all same 1832 in same floor or 9115 on same floor.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check compatibility info's here : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

As @balaji.bandi said, take care about mixing APs from different standards as you may have roaming issues.

I would recommend you to disable all dot11ax features on the SSID and on the networks to avoid this.

@balaji.bandi , @JPavonM , @marce1000 

I am testing connectivity and mobility with 1 catalyst 9115ax and a 1832 ap, connectivity seems OK, but mobility is not working as expected even disabling dot 11ax features.
but i  didn't tried with different floor.

but mobility is not working as expected even disabling dot 11ax features.

enable debug and check the logs.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

As @balaji.bandi said, debug will help you to trace where the issue is. Additionally, have you checked same config has been pushed to the APs joined to eWC? Use this command to see seamless config at all "show ap tag summary".

n_lama
Level 1
Level 1

@balaji.bandi 

i think there is no problem on ap tagging and ap join, the problem is on mobility.

and result of "show ap tag summary"

#show ap tag summary
Number of APs: 2
AP Name AP Mac Site Tag Name Policy Tag Name RF Tag Name Misconfigured Tag Source
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AP_1832 68ca.e448.0400 default-site-tag default-policy-tag default-rf-tag No Default
APA_9115 a00f.3717.f488 default-site-tag default-policy-tag default-rf-tag No Default

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

In EWC all APs are in Flexconnect mode, so you have to make sure that you have configured all the AP connecting ports similar.

Interface Gig0/0/1

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan <Management VLAN ID>

switchport trunk allowed vlan <VLANs tagged to SSIDs>

spanning tree portfast trunk

n_lama
Level 1
Level 1

thank you everybody for supporting, now it may seems ok. i.e. connectivity is good, mobility also working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card