cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to create a 2-4 km Point to Multipoint Bridge connections

tigrishor
Level 1
Level 1

I have attached a drawing with shows exacly what i want to do and the distances in each side. If i want to go 802.11n is aironet 1500 the only one that can cover those areas or is there another solution. If not, i will go 1300 and traditional b/g. Seccond question, do i need 4 ap's and 4 directional antenas or is there another solution. And last what antenas and what ap's should i choose for what i have in mind. Thanks in advance

3 Replies 3

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

"If i want to go 802.11n is aironet 1500 the only one that can cover those areas or is there another solution. If not, i will go 1300 and traditional b/g."

I don't believe Cisco has released any 802.11n bridging hardware. The 1250 has commands to set a bridge mode but this is not recommended or supported by Cisco. For the time being your options are the 1300 (g) or the 1400 (a).

"Seccond question, do i need 4 ap's and 4 directional antenas or is there another solution."

Based on your diagram, you need 5 APs, 4 directional, and one omni.

"And last what antenas and what ap's should i choose for what i have in mind."

My recommendation would usually be to use 1400s rather than 1300s, simply because you're much less likely to encounter contention/noise in the 5GHz space. If you want to use the 1300s for cost reasons, definitely do a careful survey.

The 1250 is now supported for bridging, originally it wasn't and I can show you two documents where one says yes the other says no.

I am not sure what restrictions there are as its a while since I looked at this. Most people who set it up before it was approved for bridging were successful.

This says yes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/ps8382/prod_qas0900aecd806b7c82_ns767_Networking_Solutions_Q_and_A.html

This says No

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1250/installation/guide/125h_c1.html

I assume the second doc is just older.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I can assure you that Point-To-Point Bridge is supported on the 1250 is you are using 12.4(21a)JA1.  I have it setup here right now.  Unfortunately I had to raise a TAC request because the Cisco documentation (Document ID #68087) is incorrect.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card