cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nest thermostats

matt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  I'm wondering if anyone has ever had any luck getting Nest thermostats to stay connected on a cisco wireless network.  We are running 5508s (ver

7.2.110.0) and the thermostats are connecting to a 3502.  The WLAN is a locally switched FlexConnect SSID.

According to nest there are two potential issues - NAT timeout and wireless networks that do not play nicely with devices that sleep for long periods of time.  I've configured static NAT translations for the Nests, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Nest says "Nest uses Wi-Fi 'Power Save Mode' to allow it to sleep and charge its  battery while remaining connected to the internet. Not all Wi-Fi  routers support this feature or implement it correctly.  When they don't, Nest will have difficulty sleeping and will restart  in an attempt to reset its network connection. This may happen  repeatedly if your Wi-Fi router is incompatible with the 'Power Save  Mode' feature."  I've tried increasing the DTIM timers to no avail.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

3 Replies 3

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

are Nest devices wifi certified?

are you sure its a power save issue?

what's the security used, if WPA used then increase the broadcast key rotation.

jgbright
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get a 2nd Gen Nest to connect to an 1142 AP running autonomous IOS 15.2(2)JB.

I normally run the AP with WPA2 PSK and AES, but could not get the NEST to connect at all.

I dropped down to WPA PSK and was finally able to get it to connect long enough to upgrade its firmware and register the Nest.com account, but since it rebooted, I can't get it to connect at all, even with WPA.

The AP is 10 feet away from the thermostat, and the thermostat even shows that it has excellent signal, it just won't connect.

I did some more reading and the connection problem has to do with the inactivity timeout on the AP.

The thermostat wants to go to sleep for about 30 minutes at a time to conserve the battery built into it.

My AP was set to disconnect unknown clients after 60 seconds. The thermostat would wake up expecting

to already be associated with the AP and the AP had already disassociated it and the thermostat couldn't

handle that. The solution was increase the unknown client timeout to at least 30 minutes and now the thermostat

is staying connected. I actually set my AP unknown client timeout to 10 hours just to be safe.

So far the thermostat is staying connected. I'll post again after a couple of days to see if the fix is permanent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card