Views
Helpful
Replies

No DHCP on wireless

danielschade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

it's my first time to work with Cisco WLC and LAPs, so actually I have no real clue what I'm doing except for that I got my LAPs to join the WLC and had it working before I put it in my production network...

Some information: 
Controller is a WS-C3650 with IOS-XE 3.6.4, LAPs are 1142N, both LAPs are joined, Capwap0 and Capwap1 are up/up. 2 wireless networks on both LAPs, one is in VLAN2 and the other in VLAN3. VLAN1 is for management only, ports Gi1/0/1 and 1/0/2 are connected to the LAPs as access in VLAN1. 

Ports Gi1/0/3 and 1/0/48 are trunk ports, carrying VLANs 1-3 from the firewall (48) and to an Ubiquiti Nanostation (3) to a remote location.

The switch with both APs is supposed to be put in the remote location, but for testing purposes it is hooked up in between the VLAN trunk to the wireless bridge, so that the old wireless system from UBNT is still working at the remote location. 

VLAN1 and VLAN3 are behind a pfsense firewall, VLAN2 is using a Sophos UTM for filtering instead (guest VLAN). 

DHCP servers for VLAN1 and 3 are on the outside side of the pfsense with DHCP relay configured and already working with the old wireless and cabled access on the 3650. For VLAN2 the UTM is the DHCP server. 

The first time I tested my setup, I configured DHCP pools for those VLANs directly on the switch, always getting IP addresses. When hooking it up into the trunk I removed those pools, the LAPs got their IP, joined the controller, looked like it is working, but no IP address was given to the clients.

I started a packet capture on the pfsense on VLAN3, where I could see the DHCP discover reaching the firewall, and a DHCP offer from the relayed server leaving it on VLAN3 to the client. But on the client I couldn't see the offer getting there.

Is there anything that needs to be configured for DHCP to work? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Good to hear that issue solved, Please mark this discussion as corrected/answered.

It may helpful to others.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

danielschade
Level 1
Level 1

Solved it, didn't know I need to configure some DHCP stuff on the WLANs, which point to the DHCP server. 

Good to hear that issue solved, Please mark this discussion as corrected/answered.

It may helpful to others.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card