cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Obtain detailed user data for Guest wireless network

ryan14
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to configure the 9800-CL to show the hostname of the device connecting the guest network (no auth) in the monitor -> client menu?

Also is there a way to send this info to ISE or syslog?

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If the method you use to authenticate devices doesn’t request information “what you are looking for”, I don’t see how the controller is suppose to know. 802.1x and webauth with login only provides the user info.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I ask to see if there is a way because other vendors I have managed in the past, such as UniFi wireless, is able to do this with the same setup.

For an open ssid? Well maybe look at how that vendor is able to get the device name from an open ssid.
-Scott

> Is there a way to configure the 9800-CL to show the hostname of the device
In theory the hostname could be obtained by snooping the DHCP request but the WLC does not routinely log or display that information.
But you could log it on your DHCP server?

Check the advanced options of the SSID and I think there you can enable some DHCP and Hostname snooping features. Those might get sent to the ISE, but I haven't tested that.

Thanks for the reply but didn't see anything in advanced WLAN tab.

You have under the SSID configuration, in the advanced tab, some profiling options.

Here the manual: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-5/config-guide/b_cg85/per_wlan_wireless_settings.html#client-profiling

I'm still not seeing any profile option in the advanced tab. I also tried via CLI and that option isn't there as well. You are referencing 9800-CL 16.12.3 config options?

Per the manual one of the restrictions is:

Clients associating with FlexConnect mode APs when local authentication is done with local switching is enabled.

Which is what we are doing. So I don't think it is possible in our situation.

Ah no, I'm referencing the previous WLC generation. The newer 9800 series has a new OS which I haven't any experience with.

Profiling identifies the type of device, not the device hostname. I also run the 9800 but in local mode at home and no client username shows up unless I use 802.1x. Even on AireOS, I do not see any usernames unless using 802.1x.
-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: