cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OpenDNS on public vlan

ubuntu_guy
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 5508 WLC that for whatever reason cant take any DNS settings, but I still need to get some filtering on the public hotspot side of my wireless network. Can I put the DNS settings on the router that the circuit terminates on? This is the same router that the public vlan is defined on, I'm just not sure if I can put DNS settings in place for just one vlan, and how that'd work.

Thanks for any help

-Richard

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

what exactly are you looking to do?  but yes, the WLC does not have the ability to do URL filtering of any sort.  This would come from an upstream device.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

As Steve point out you can do anything on the controller DNS wise. BUT, you could give your GUEST a OPEN DNS and filter that way. I do that here at the house actually with my lab.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I'm mostly just looking for some content filtering, not specific URL's. I have several thin AP's connected to the controller from remote sites so all the hotspots run through the controller. I'll follow this thread up with my solution.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card