cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Options for creating an N+1 Secondary WLC config

rdehn
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 5508's, the first is in production as a stand-alone platform. The second was purchased with the HA-SKU.

We will be configuring an N+1 HA environment and while we have Cisco Prime, I am unable to utilize Prime right now to manage and synch the configurations between the primary and secondary controllers due to factors outside the realm of this discussion. I understand that without Prime, I will need to manually "synch" the configs by updating one 5508 and then updating the other which while less than ideal, is an acceptable cost in the short-term.

I have reviewed the documentation for the actual N+1 HA configuration on the two platforms and am pretty comfortable with doing that work.

My question deals specfically with how to I build the initial configuration on the new secondary controller to match the configruation on the primary controller so that when AP's do fail-over they will continue to work (IE setup in the correct AP groups, assigned the appropriate WLAN's, etc).

One option would be to manually configure the secondary controller to match the primary which would seem to be a bit time consuming.

Since the secondary will be 90+ % identical to the the primary I am wondering if I could use the existing configuration of the primary controller as a "template" for the secondary. Specifically, I would take the secondary off-network and push the current config for the primary to it. I would then modify IP addresses as appropriate for where the secondary wlc will be placed, get the secondary unit up on the network, configure the AP's and the WLC's so they know who the primary and secondary are and everything in theory would be good.

Since my "plan" seems relatively quick and straight-forward, I am concerned I am missing something. So, if I were to proceed with my plan of copying the existing primary WLC config onto the secondary controller, what makes this idea a questionable one?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question deals specfically with how to I build the initial configuration on the new secondary controller to match the configruation on the primary controller so that when AP's do fail-over they will continue to work (IE setup in the correct AP groups, assigned the appropriate WLAN's, etc).

This is easy.

1.  Make sure your production controller and your new controller are running the same firmware or code.  Make sure both have their FUS upgraded as well.

2.  Backup the configuration of the production controller to your TFTP server.

3.  Edit this configuration file, particularly the IP Address of the Management IP address.

4.  Power up your new controller but DO NOT CONNECT to the network.  During the configuration wizard, configure the service port.

5.  Connect a PC or a laptop to the service port and make sure you can GUI into the new WLC.  Copy the configuration file from Step 3 into the new controller.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was hoping this would be an easier undertaking than a manual rebuild and you have made me a little more confident in my planning.

I will provide an update after I have copied the config into the secondary controller.

What Leo mention is the easiest way. If your unsure of editing the config, the don't modify it. Upload it as is on the HA WLC (not connected to the network) and then make changed via the service port.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: