Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSX: Removing remains from unusual AnyConnect uninstall

Someone has uninstalled the AnyConnect Client on OSX 10.8.5, but without using the graphical uninstaller (just by dragging the folder from the applications bin into the trash bin). Now any further attempts to reinstall the software fail, by  delivering a message during the installation routine saying that a cisco client would already be installed. Scanning the entire system for files having cisco in their filename or folders or having cisco in the content of a file and removing them, lead to no tangible results. My quetion in this case is:

What files may still be on the system - and : is there a way to see WHAT file the installer checks for to determine if there is cisco installed on the system.

And no - i do not want to set up a fresh os x install yet - although that way may be much easier and less time consuming, i want it to have the hard way and I want to know what files are checked by the installer of any connect….

Thanks in advance for any further hints

Dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sergepaulus1
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, Daniyal and I solved the issue. Here it is:

in Terminal.app:

sudo pkgutil --forget com.cisco.pkg.anyconnect.vpn

After that, you can reinstall the client.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

sergepaulus1
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, Daniyal and I solved the issue. Here it is:

in Terminal.app:

sudo pkgutil --forget com.cisco.pkg.anyconnect.vpn

After that, you can reinstall the client.

Works like a charm. Excellent solution. Many thanks Serge! I hope that others that run into that kind of problem will find that solution too

Worked perfectly!

James

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH 

This also worked for me.

Thank you!

Hi , 

it works find and I was able to re-install the client , but what if I need to remove other modules , where initially I installed the full package and I am not able to re-install again [Web Security , diagnostics and reporting tool , ...etc ]

Thanks 

Mohamed 

Exactly what I needed to repair the problem. thanks.

User accidently uninstalled AnyConnect off his MacBook, couldn't reinstall.  Installer would say 'custom install' and VPN and all other components would be greyed out.  Executed the command from above and tried to install VPN again and it wasn't greyed out but it failed.  Tried again using different admin credentials and it worked.  Thank you poster

Hi, i have the same problem, but i dont know where ton execute this command? Thank you!

Hi! I am having problems removing remains from unusual AnyConnect uninstall and when I try the solution you wrote above, I receive the following message: 

No receipt for 'com.cisco.pkg.anyconnect.vpn' found at '/'.

Any ideas of what can I do? Every time I shut down my computer or when I start it, Cisco tries to connect, making my starting process slow and complicated.

I am having the same problem, so frustrating!

aburr0011
Level 1
Level 1

Worked great for me, thank you! Have been trying to figure this out for weeks...

xy731
Level 1
Level 1

Partially solved the problem. But it's still better than nothing. Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card