Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet Loss on 2800 AP

Ben Duff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We've recently installed some 2800 series APs, we're seeing significant packet loss on two identical Windows 10 Intel 8260 clients. Only appears to be when connected to a 2800 AP. We're running 8.3.102.0 on our 5500 controllers. Downgrading to 8.2.121.0 currently to troubleshoot. Any bugs?

Thanks
Ben

41 Replies 41

Had the same issue, had TCP MSS set to 1300 and didn't help. Tried 1200 and seemed to fix the problem right away. 

It's necessary reboot the WLC?

As I mention above this may because the MTU settings. Being in autonmous mode you don't have the additional overhead of the CAPWAP tunnel which will aloow a larger packet before fragmentation.

Hi Ben,

We are currently running into the exact same thing after having recently deployed new 2800 series access points. I have an open case with Cisco TAC and the initial recommendation was downgrade to 8.2.141.0 that has been released on 7 December.

I did downgrade to this version as i was running 8.3, but this is unfortunately not solved yet. 

From my different testing, this seems to be an issue when operating on the 802.11ac adapters with the 2800 access points. When we disable the HT/VHT on a client adapter and operate on 802.11b/g, we never run into an packet drops or latency issues, but immediately we enable it, it starts all over again.

As a work around, i have created a new SSID only allowing access to the 802.11b/g radio, but i am hoping to get some feedback from Cisco on this soon enough as the main intention of getting the 802.11 wave2 2800 access points is to benefit from the speeds offered and use the 5GHz frequency

I also notice that when updating the Intel adapters to the latest version 19, speeds do reduce significantly and the packet drop issue is only solved for a while as it resurfaces later.

Please let me know how you got on with this and share any work around implemented. I am experiencing this on different windows operating systems and client adapter versions.

Many Thanks

Alain

Alain,

We've had success with the newest driver from Intel. 19.20.3. I haven't finished testing it as yet but so far so good.

Hi Quintin,

I did upgrade to 19.20.3 and it only worked for a short while, So i am not sure if it was temporarily resolved due to a PC reboot rather than the upgrade itself.

When you roll back to the previous driver you will still realize that you cannot possibly reproduce it right away, which is quite odd.

Cisco TAC have confirmed a possible software bug CSCvc46666 but a work around is being worked upon and tested,

A suggested work around at the moment is to change the channel bonding for all 2800 AP`s from 80Mghz to 40Mghz. I need to test this out and will confirm if this works out for me.

The intel driver update only worked for a few hours and throughput speeds are greatly reduced.

I've had the driver on a laptop for about a week now and I haven't had any of the latency issues I had before. 

What AireOS code version are you running on the WLC/AP`s and what wireless client operating systems ? Windows 7?

Thanks

We seem to also be affected to this issue. Same situation, AP2800i, WLC 8.2.141.0 and Intel 8260 with default Windows Update driver 18.40.0.12.

Here the problem is so severe, I can't open a single website. A continuous ping from the client to a website has around 80% packet loss.

Luckily I haven't yet deployed any 2800i APs, as it's an upgrade to the old models, but I can't progress now in the project.

Your bug number is sadly not customer visible, have you any updates on the issue?

Thanks

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I do understand as i have gone through the same as you with the new 2800 Access points. The bug is not yet publicly visible,so not any info is displayed, but we have a work around that is working fine for us and stable at the moment.

- Stay on WLC version 8.2.141.0

- In case you are running Windows 10, upgrade intel adapters to 19.20.3.4

- In case you are running Windows 7, upgrade intel adapters to 19.20.0

I have not done any tests on windows 8, so not able to confirm to you what works best!

With the above, we do have stability and high speeds of up to 400Mbps on the intel AC adapters.

You may get these new drivers by going directly to the Intel website

Windows 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26465/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t

Windows 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26466/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-8-1-?v=t

Windows 7

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26467/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?v=t

Alain

Pease rate if this helps!

Bug is now customer visible, which is good :)

I don't want to do the driver upgrade way, because around 70% of the devices are unmanaged. It has to work with the normal drivers which all device manufacturers use. Also, dynamic RRM 80 MHz channels work fine with 2700 and 3700 models and the same clients, although I don't remember if I tested that two weeks ago on the new controller or on the old controller (where I'm running 8.0.x code).

We are also currently on the 8.2.121.0 code and are experiencing similar issues using the intel AC 8260 adapters.

ive upgraded to the latest intel driver and whilst the issue is less prominent - very occasionally i will see the network drop.

ive tested with other wireless NICs and have no issues.

Has anyone been able to find a fix to this problem?

Hill

What OS are you clients running? Our Windows 10 clients won't connect any faster than 173.3 on our 2800's.

matthewcharette
Level 1
Level 1

Have you taken packet captures on the AP port and looked for fragmentation? We had a similar issues and it was an MTU issue. We had to lower our VPN MTU to 1340  and other MTU settings as well on our VPN. Our max MTU before fragmentation at the site became 1312 before fragmentation I'm not familiar with your set, but you may want to look at the full path. The laptops/APs weren't honoring path MTU discovery (PMTUD) so we had to manually intervene. Try that out.

quintin.hassell
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Ben,

Were you able to resolve this issue? We have some new W10 laptops with Intel 8260 wireless cards and are having the same issue. Lots of dropped packets. My boss just found an article which appears to have a fix. If you go into the wireless adapter properties, hit configure and look for HT Mode. Set it to disabled. Seems to have fixed our issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: