cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Password is expired. Please reset your admin password.

shrijan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

Is there any idea how to reset the GUI and CLI admin password?

Worst case is i even do not have CLI mode admin password. I have forgotton the password.

By the way i do not know how come my GUI admin password is expired too..

Kindly assist.

Thanks.

Shrijan

1 Accepted Solution
11 Replies 11

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Which platform are you referring to?

@Arshad Safrulla 

It's ISE 3.0

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the password expired you do not have to access to any other means to Logging you need to go password recovery.

If you have SSH access you can reset -  SSH into your ISE server with your CLI username/password. At the command prompt enter “application reset-passwd ise admin”

Once you reset make sure you change the policy from default to whatever you like to get rid of this issue.

image.png

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

@balaji.bandi 

I do not have access by ssh or web console too.

So any document or steps you have i can follow for the password recovery for ISE 3.0

Thanks.

Thanks.. I will try and update..

@balaji.bandi 

It worked perfectly..

Many Thanks..

Regards,

shrijan

That SSH method resets the password, but it leaves it in an expired state, so it's still not useful.

I swear the committee of non-technical managers who "trimmed" ISE to make ISE-PIC have never used either product!!

ela___2008
Level 1
Level 1

I really would like a talk to the product manager.  

So once you reset the password via pw reset procedure or via cli it will always remain expired as Robert said in the previous post.

Had to do a application reset-passwd ise admin from the cli to reset it again and only then was i able to log into the gui.

Next issue ... the stripped down interface of the ISE PIC does not allow you to change the policy so it will expire again and again ...

Edit:  Apollogies - i was wrong here. Actually the option is present its just not displayed when getting on the page and i missed the scrollbar at the right side of my screen because there is a lot of whitespace (40") between the end of text and the scrollbar. Also there is no graphical indication that the textbox with the configuration option ends right in the middle of the screen other than the scrollbar on the far right. Clearly it was developed on 1920x1080 which makes it natural that there might be a limit. Even if i don´t like light themes with missing indicators of zones in the end i just overlooked it.  So anyone also searching for it ... just scroll down.

Reach out to your Cisco rep.  When I have ran into password issue in my lab due to not changing the expiration, I have always just used the application reset-passwd ise admin, nothing else.  

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott
i dont really get it. Does this approach reset UI admin password? For entire deployment?
Otherwise, if it resets password for the node, how to treat the case when CLI access is denied due to password issue in way different from recovery via boot from DVD?