Views
Helpful
Replies

PI 2.2.2 /CT8540 snmp : device is unreachable

said.sayah
Level 1
Level 1

I can't add my CT8540 8.1.102 to my PI 2.2.2, I use snmp V3

I add a SNMP V3 user to my CT8540 ( user, authen Proto HMAC-SHA and Privac Proto CFB-AES-128).

I  add the devise to my PI , I use snmp V3 and SSH , when I check credential I have only this message (snmp : device is unreachable).

can someone help me to resolve this.

Tanks

23 Replies 23

Can you tell us what ports on the 8540 you have connected to the network?  I would just have one 10G/1G port connected and also make sure that the service port IP address is not routable on the network.  I don't know how your 8540's are setup, so I'm just stating things that can cause issues. 

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

Thanks for your help:

- WLC 1 (active)

port 1 to 6880 active - lag to etherchannel 15

port 2 to 6880 active - lag to etherchannel 15

- WLC 2 (HA-standby)

port 1 to 6880 passive - lag to etherchannel 16

port 2 to 6880 passive - lag to etherchannel 16

-Service port on both WLC: not plugged, no ip address

Unplug port 2 on both controllers and just have port 1 for now. Setup an IP address on the service port like 192.0.2.x.

-Scott

-Scott

Scott,

We made the test you asked:

1/ with snmp tool, we dont recieve traps in the vlan 3

(vlan 3= PI)

(vlan 6= WLC)

In the vlan 6, we recieve the traps.

2/ then we shut down port 2 on both WLC, and set ip service port to 192.0.2.1/24 (but not plugged)

We made the test with snmp too in vlan 3 : no traps

thanks

Seems to me that there is something blocking.  Did you allow the test device ip on the WLC?

-Scott

-Scott

yes, we allowed the subnet in /24.

Seems like something is blocking when your going different layer 2 subjects crossing a layer 3 boundary.  The controller doesn't care about what subnet its on, the issue is that it works on the same layer 2 subnet but not in any other vlan.  is PI on a subnet that one of the dynamic interfaces are on?

-Scott

-Scott

Hello,

If we add an interface on the WLC on the same vlan, it works.

I think we are going to open a case...

Try to download a free snmp test tool that also supports v3.  Run this on a device that is connected to the same vlan as your PI 2.2 and see if you get a response back or not. At least this will determine is something on the network is the issue or the 8540.

-Scott

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card