cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 3.10.2 Coral to 9800 WLC version 17.8/9/10.x reports down

Ethan Grinnell
Level 1
Level 1

After upgrading our 9800 WLC to 17.9.2, Prime has started indicating that the Coral connection is down. It was fine in 17.6.x. Prime is 3.10.2 with all of the latest patches. As far as I have been able to determine the actual telemetry stream is fine though. AP discovery completes with no issues, I have client details, etc.

This document and this bug both mention the command:

show telemetry internal protocol cntp-tcp manager x.x.x.x 20828

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/214286-managing-catalyst-9800-wireless-controll.html

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs40684

It appears that Prime uses that command in the "Catalyst 9800 Telemetry Coral Health" service check. However, as of 17.8.1+ that command  requires additional arguments (It wants the vrf-id and mgmt IP). Prime doesn't use the VRF-aware command syntax though. I've tested with both 9800-80 and 9800-L-F models, I can't speak for any other 9800 model

wc9800-06#show telemetry internal protocol cntp-tcp manager x.x.x.x 20830 ?
  source-vrf  Source VRF

wc9800-06#
wc9800-06#show telemetry internal protocol cntp-tcp manager PrimeInfrastructure_IP 20830 source-vrf 0 WLC_MGMT_IP
Telemetry protocol manager stats:

Con str                : PrimeInfrastructure_IP:20830:0:WLC_MGMT_IP
Sockfd                 : 109
Protocol               : cntp-tcp
State                  : CNDP_STATE_CONNECTED
Table id               : 0
Wait Mask              : 
Connection Retries     : 0
Send Retries           : 0
Pending events         : 0
Source ip              : WLC_MGMT_IP
Bytes Sent             : 22288781
Msgs Sent              : 20578
Msgs Received          : 0
Creation time:         : Sun Dec 25 16:32:27:746
Last connected time:   : Sun Dec 25 16:32:27:747
Last disconnect time:  : 
Last error:            : 
Connection flaps:      : 0
Last flap Reason:      : 
Keep Alive Timeouts:   : 0
Last Transport Error   : No Error

As a test to see if this was the only thing that is affecting that service, I made an EEM script that translates from the original command to the new syntax. With that script in place Prime's "Catalyst 9800 Telemetry Coral Health" service is happy. So it seems it was that single command's syntax changing that broke it. To be clear, this doesn't affect telemetry actually functioning, it only impacts Prime's reporting of the telemetry status.

event manager applet telemManagerCmd authorization bypass
 event cli pattern "^show telemetry internal protocol cntp-tcp manager [[:digit:]\.]+ [[:digit:]]+$" enter
 action 000 set wlc_mgmt_ip" "Unknown"
 action 001 set wlc_mgmt_vrf_id "0"
 action 002 set pi_ip "Unknown"
 action 003 set pi_port "Unknown"
 action 004 regexp "([[:digit:]\.]+) ([[:digit:]]+)" "$_cli_msg" ignore pi_ip pi_port
 action 005 cli command "enable"
 action 006 cli command "terminal length 0"
 action 007 cli command "terminal width 0"
 action 008 cli command "show wireless interface summary"
 action 009 regexp "[[:alnum:]\/]+[[:space:]]+Management[[:space:]]+[[:digit:]]+[[:space:]]+([[:digit:]\.]+)" "$_cli_result" ignore wlc_mgmt_ip
 action 010 cli command "show telemetry internal protocol cntp-tcp manager $pi_ip $pi_port source-vrf $wlc_mgmt_vrf_id $wlc_mgmt_ip"
 action 011 puts "$_cli_result"

Is anyone else seeing this with 9800 WLC versions 17.8.1 and higher? I'm curious if there is something particular to our setup where it makes the older CLI command disappear or if Prime uses the VRF-aware command syntax somehow.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

3.10.4 was released last week. I confirmed that it fixes the issue. They changed to the new VRF aware syntax: 

show telemetry internal protocol cntp-tcp manager PrimeInfrastructure_IP 20830 source-vrf 0 WLC_MGMT_IP

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvt65754 , check if that could help for your current predicament too , 

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure how the Coral version ties into WLC version, it doesn't need to be a 1-to-1 correspondence though. I think that Coral is 17.9.1 in Prime 3.10.2.

Do you have any firewall between ? check these ports are allowed :

• Cisco Prime Infrastructure to controller: TCP port 830 is used by Cisco Prime Infrastructure to push the telemetry configuration to the controller (using NETCONF).

• Controller to Cisco Prime Infrastructure: TCP port 20828 is used for Cisco IOS-XE 16.10.x and 16.11.x, and TCP port 20830 is used for Cisco IOS-XE 16.12x, 17.1.x and later releases.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

There is a firewall in production, no interesting ports blocked.

In the lab I have them in the same network/VLAN and no firewall. Production Prime and WLC aren't in the same network.

that just a suggestion, not necessary to be that is a problem. since you mentioned it was working before the upgrade and having errors after the upgrade. this required some TAC involvement.

Personally, since you went to the latest version of Code - cisco moving towards DNAC deployment - rather focusing on Prime Infra. (just thinking some features may fading - may be ?)

BB

eglinsky2012
Level 3
Level 3

Prime 3.10.3 is out. Not sure if this will be resolved, but it might be worth checking out if only for the long list of other bugs resolved.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Not sure how I missed that it came out last Thursday. I guess I need to confirm my notification settings.

No change. Oh well, it was worth doing anyway.

I opened a TAC case earlier this afternoon

Sure new PI released only bug fix, which was reported earlier, but TAC can assist you to fix the issue.

its worth posting back what TAC suggested for the benefit of wide community members.

BB

Rich R
VIP
VIP

jvodeb
Level 1
Level 1

@Ethan Grinnell thanks for workaround.

What did TAC say?

Still investigating internally

brian.smith
Level 1
Level 1

PI = Prime Infrastructure;  9800 is the Cisco 9800-CL (WLC switch)

I too have been running into issues with the Coral Services since upgrading to PI 3.10.x.  TAC has always just had me stop and restart services to resolve.  

Ethan Grinnell
Level 1
Level 1

This will probably be the fix:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwc30033

TAC says: "There is not workaround (as of now), however, it will be fixed in 3.10.4. ETA for that version has been changing, it is expected to be released late June, early July"

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card