Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime infra, copy and replace function

Moudar
VIP
VIP

Hi!

I have about 100 pcs 2602 model APs that should be replaced with new 9120 new APs.

I have never tested Prime's function of copy and replace.

Can anyone give me an example of how to do it, the excel file that Prime provides is weird.

How should the excel file look like to do this replace process?

9 Replies 9

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/3-5/user/guide/bk_CiscoPrimeInfrastructure_3_5_0_UserGuide/bk_CiscoPrimeInfrastructure_3_5_0_UserGuide_chapter_011010.html#task_1071525

There will be a sample/template CSV file to download

Only Disassociated_MAC_Address(Source) and Associated_MAC_Address(Destination) columns are mandatory in the CSV file

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Moudar
VIP
VIP

When we do this "copy and replace" process, does the new AP maintain the same AP group as the old one?

Yes but old must be offline and new registered first

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

You mean that the whole "copy and replace" process should be done when we have changed the old APs with the New?

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What's the WLC and the code it is running?

9120 is not supported in any WLC AIREOS code that supported 2602 and also 9800 doesn't support 2602's. How are you planning to do this? I do not think copy and paste will be an option for you

If you are planning to do one to one replacement it may be possible only if the current wireless design (AP positions, antennas, RF configs and plans) as whole is validated to be working well, but since you are jumping from one generation to another generation it is always better to plan and re-validate the ap positions, cabling requirements for AP's etc. with a site survey. 

We have 2 pieces of 5520 WLC one is running 8.5.x and the other is running 8.10.181.

2602 model will stay on the one with 8.5.x and all others (2802, 1850, and 3700) will be moved to the one with 8.10.181

We have only surveyed PoE requirements that we need when deploying the 9120 model, so many switches will be changed.

No site survey has been done, will see when problems show up.

I don't yet know how will we move these (2802, 1850, and 3700 about 800 pieces) to the WLC with 8.10.181 (any suggestions)?

When we are done with the process of moving (2802, 1850, and 3700) models to the WLC running 8.10.181, will change the DNS to make it point to the WLC with 8.10.181 and then start changing the 2602 model.
I don't know if this is a good plan, so any suggestions are welcome

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

At very high level you can refer to the below link by our fellow VIP, I would still try to download the WLC running 8.10 code to match the other WLC before uploading the config backup. Once uploaded you may upgrade the WLC to the TAC recommended 8.10 code.

https://mrncciew.com/2013/01/25/backup-restore-wlc-configs/

If you really want it to be done via CLI you can follow the below.

1. Save the config on the WLC running 8.5.X code.

2.Downgrade the WLC running 8.10 to match the same code (8.5.X) running in other WLC (You can use PRIME)

3. Take a backup (show run-config startup-commands), or download the config as per the above link.

4. SSH/Console to new WLC and paste the config or upload the config file downloaded from other WLC.

5 Verify the config from GUI.

6. Upgrade the WLC which will have 9120 APs to 8.10.X TAC recommended code. (You can use PRIME)

7. Make sure that you configure WLC WMI's in 2 different VLAN's and also if possible that you have different AP management subnet for 9120 AP's and other AP's which will be migrated to the WLC running 8.10. This will give you the flexibility to change the DHCP parameters like option 43 to point to new WLC WMI IP. This will also enable you to just configure the new VLAN under the switchport and bounce the port so AP will join the other WLC. Or you can prime the AP's using Cisco PI to update the primary and secondary WLC's.

8. While migrating make sure that you don't mix and match AP models in one roaming domain (roaming domain can be a room, floor where users need seamless roaming). Also, if feasible plan for migration of one roaming domain at one slot.

9. Consider upgrading the WLC's to 9800's if the budget permits. 9800-CL WLC is offered FOC where you have to pay for support and AP licenses only. (DNA Licneses per AP)

Do you mean that 9800-CL WLC license model is cheaper than the 5520, We have allready payed about 150 USD for licensing for every new 9120 AP!

For 9120 AP's you will get the DNA licenses by default, however licenses are required for any older generation of AP's (Wave 1 and Wave 2 AP's) joining to 9800 WLC

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card