Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime Infrastructure - Automating the change "mac@ <-> AP name" with CSV file

oliv Parcell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are going to deploy a lot of new LAP. For each site our  customer will give us an excel file with the MAC @ of the AP and the  target name.

I was wondering if it was possible to automate the  injection of this file "mac <-> ap name" and then apply the  predefined template with P.I ?

If yes, could you explain how, as I am new to Prime Infrastructure.,The goal is to avoid to rename each AP individually on prime as there is a lot of AP to deploy.

Many thanks in advance !

Oliv.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rollin Kibbe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Oliv:

In the Classic View of Prime Infrastructure, under Configure > Access Points, there's a menu option for Import AP Config.  This uses a .csv file to match APs by the MAC address and make changes in bulk.  From the online help:

Sample File Header:
AP Name,Ethernet MAC,Location,Primary Controller,Secondary Controller,Tertiary Controller

ap-1, 00:1c:58:74:8c:22, sjc-14-a, controller-4404-1, controller-4404-2, controller-4404-3
The CSV file can contain following fields. AP Ethernet MAC Address is mandatory, Optional fields are           AP Name, Location, Primary Controller, Secondary Controller and Tertiary Controller.            
Optional fields can be empty. AP Config Import will  ignore empty optional field values. However, if Primary Controller and  Secondary Controller entries are empty then Unified AP update is not  done

• Ethernet MAC: AP Ethernet MAC Address
  • AP Name:AP Name
  • Primary Controller:Primary Controller Name
  • Secondary Controller:Secondary Controller Name
  • Tertiary Controller:Tertiary Controller Name

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rollin Kibbe
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Oliv:

In the Classic View of Prime Infrastructure, under Configure > Access Points, there's a menu option for Import AP Config.  This uses a .csv file to match APs by the MAC address and make changes in bulk.  From the online help:

Sample File Header:
AP Name,Ethernet MAC,Location,Primary Controller,Secondary Controller,Tertiary Controller

ap-1, 00:1c:58:74:8c:22, sjc-14-a, controller-4404-1, controller-4404-2, controller-4404-3
The CSV file can contain following fields. AP Ethernet MAC Address is mandatory, Optional fields are           AP Name, Location, Primary Controller, Secondary Controller and Tertiary Controller.            
Optional fields can be empty. AP Config Import will  ignore empty optional field values. However, if Primary Controller and  Secondary Controller entries are empty then Unified AP update is not  done

• Ethernet MAC: AP Ethernet MAC Address
  • AP Name:AP Name
  • Primary Controller:Primary Controller Name
  • Secondary Controller:Secondary Controller Name
  • Tertiary Controller:Tertiary Controller Name

Thank you Rollin for the information !

Oliv.

Hello Rollin,

Looking forward to make a bulk AP renaming, I'm playing around with a test AP and just tried to do the import by using a .CSV file (created with Notepad) containing the following:

AP Name, Ethernet MAC, Location, Primary Controller, Secondary Controller, Tertiary Controller

ap_name, aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff, , ctrller_name, , ,

Since my only intention is to rename the APs, I'm only specifying the new name, the MAC, the Primary Controller and all the other fields blank, just as stated on the help. The outcome is:

PI_AP_Import.png

MAC is mandatory and at least one of the controllers is needed, both were included..

What other field should I add?

Thanks.

What I do is have all the AP's join and I capture the mac address of the AP's and run a script to change the hostname, ip address (optionl), primary, secondary, tertiary and any other setting via the WLC CLI. 

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: