Views
Helpful
Replies

Prioritize data on one SSID on an autonomous AP with multiple SSIDs

calleemalaykavi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a standalone AP(AP1261N) which is configured with 3 SSIDs.I would like to prioritize any data flow on SSID 1 for example so that users on SSID 1 are always functional independent on what is happening on the other SSIDS.

Then have the SSID 2 with a lower priority and SSID 3 lowest priority.

Each SSID is associated with a vlan.

I have seen some posts describing that this can be done using QOS associated with the different vlans.

Could someone please explain how I could configure the AP to do so?

I am using Command line.     

Thank you 

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You really only can prioritize traffic depending on application marking the traffic. You might be able to prioritize traffic based on the subnet if each SSID but that would be done on the switch

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_3g_JA/configuration/guide/s43qos.html

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Kavi,

Here are the few important points you need to understand when it comes to Autonomous AP QoS (this is extract from the link provided by Scot in above).

The QoS implementation for wireless LANs differs from QoS  implementations on other Cisco devices. With QoS enabled, access points  perform the following:

They  do not classify packets; they prioritize packets based on DSCP value,  client type (such as a wireless phone), or the priority value in the  802.1q or 802.1p tag.

They  do not construct internal DSCP values; they only support mapping by  assigning IP DSCP, Precedence, or Protocol values to Layer 2 COS values.

They carry out EDCF like queuing on the radio egress port only.

They do only FIFO queueing on the Ethernet egress port.

They support only 802.1Q/P tagged packets. Access points do not support ISL.

They support only MQC policy-map set cos action.

They  prioritize the traffic from voice clients (such as Symbol phones) over  traffic from other clients when the QoS Element for Wireless Phones  feature is enabled.

They support Spectralink phones using the class-map IP protocol clause with the protocol value set to 119.

Also it is important to understand what type of traffic get impacted by AAP QoS. When you configure AAP for QoS it will primarily affect downstream traffic from AP to Client (No control over traffic coming from wireless client to AP - where priority will determine by WMM UP of clients traffic)

As you can see in the above, only FIFO available on ethernet egress (from AP to rest of your network) & then depend on how do you configure network switch ports connected to these AP (either trust DSCP or COS) it will determine how QoS maintain within your wired network.

In unified wireless enviroment you can classify each SSID with different QoS profile (Platinum, Gold, Silver & Bronze) & control what is the max level of QoS priority packets will get in each SSID. But in autonomous world it is not straightforward like that.

HTH

Rasika

Thank you both for the reply.

Rasika- I appreciate the detailed explanation.

It was very helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card