cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Private 5G and Wireless

Karabom
Level 1
Level 1

Can a private 5G device roam between 5G and Wi-Fi or vice versa for a great user experience where an enterprise campus network has both(Private 5G and WiFi) deployed? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Actually private 5G is a thing @Leo Laohoo  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/private-5g-networks.html
But to the original question: while it is technically possible to do that (devices already do that today on public 4G and 5G - switching to VoWiFi and back seamlessly) what you can do on your private networks will be entirely dependent on the network solution that you install, what features you have enabled and the capabilities of your client devices and what you allow them to do. If you want a solution that can do that then buy the right hardware and software products and client devices that support that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no such thing as a "Private 5G" operator.  

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Actually private 5G is a thing @Leo Laohoo  https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/solutions/private-5g-networks.html
But to the original question: while it is technically possible to do that (devices already do that today on public 4G and 5G - switching to VoWiFi and back seamlessly) what you can do on your private networks will be entirely dependent on the network solution that you install, what features you have enabled and the capabilities of your client devices and what you allow them to do. If you want a solution that can do that then buy the right hardware and software products and client devices that support that.

Thank you @Rich R well explained and very insightful indeed, I really appreciate it. What does Cisco recommend for on-premises radios for private 5G, my current Wi-Fi solution is a full catalyst C9800 controllers and C9120I-E access points with advantage licenses, DNA center managed.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Sorry I'm not an expert on the subject.  Best to contact your Cisco account manager and get them to put you in touch with the right team.  You may also want to talk to other vendors too to find all the available options.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card