cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

problem using non-cisco wics to connect to aironet 1200

zieske
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured an aironet 1200 with pretty basic security for testing. I am trying to connect to the AP using several different brands of cards: linksys, smc, d-link and some notebook onboard.

All of the brands will connect to the AP but only the d-link is able to draw a dhcp address from the network. None of the other cards will. Network connectivity is fine if I manually enter an IP.

I see nothing in the AP configuration that should affect the clients ability to draw an address. I also find no way to setup the AP as a dhcp server.

I have searched for known issues and have checked the manufacturers sites for info but have come up empty. Am I missing something?

2 Replies 2

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

Check in the Cisco Bugtoolkit if there are some known issues with 1200AP and D-link card.

Also, check your encryption!

If you are running WEP on this test enviorment, make sure all your cards support the same leverl of WEP

either (64 or 128) AkA (40 or 104). If the AP is set to 128( aka 104), and the Dlink is the only card that supports it, then it would be the only one to get a dhcp lease. Also, check to make sure you have latestes drivers / firmware.

I had a 802.11b/g card integrated into a laptop. I have an 801.11b only network. Compatable right? Yes, but the laptop wouldnt connect. Get the latest driver, which was like .001 difference. And BAM, worked like a charm. sooo...

1. Check Encryption settings

2. Check Encryption capabilitiies on network cards

3. Upgrade upgrade upgrade. Drivers, and firmware.

4. Check PSPF (Public Secure Packet Forewarding), if its on, then the switchport needs to be set to protected mode. Otherwise just turn it off. If the switchport is not set right, then no DHCP lease

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card