Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS Configuration wlc 8510 version 8.0

kustaruni
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am running cisco WLC 8510 with mix of APs 1242, 2700 and 3700. i have integrated 3rd party guest network solution in cisco WLC now i want to implement or restrict each guest user up to a certain amount of bandwidth. I have seen the options available in cisco wlc but i need more explanation expecially average data rate, burst data rate, average real time rate and burst real time rate. if anyone could explain in simple words it would be a help for me. please don't share any link i have read them already Thanks

Regards

3 Replies 3

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am not sure if this is actually possible, but I also have never tried that.

Anyway, burst rate is the maximum speed a client can reach for a short (some milliseconds, maybe even seconds) while average rate is the normal maximum after the burst is used up.

Not sure about the difference of the non-real and real one, but you can probably leave that out and limit it to the non-real variant.

As an alternative approach, you could set a QoS level per BSSID or even application (AVC), that way you could set your guests to bronze, while you use a higher level for all your other BSSIDs. That way the guests can still use the full bandwidth, while it's not otherwise used.

Ric Beeching
Level 7
Level 7

Kustaruni,

Average data is TCP and Real-time is UDP. Bursting allows for short periods where the traffic exceeds the average/real-time due to necessity of the type of traffic. Think of it as an extra buffer to permit a brief burst of data. Don't set it too high above your other rates, wired QoS often permits for something like 10% bursting but it is obviously dependant on each setup and what the bandwidth limitations are. Let's say you wanted to restrict your guest users to 1mbit you can just put in:

Average Data Rate: 1000

Burst: 1200

Realtime Data Rate: 1000

Burst: 1200

Without checknig your bandwidth limitations on the wire and assuming this is a non-complex setup, this should work fine.

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Keep in mind that the rate-limit configuration on the WLC is per radio per access-point. Don't let the GUI fool you; the "SSID bandwidth contracts" are not dynamically calculated. In my opinion a better place to perform shaping and/or policing of user-traffic is the next-hop router/firewall instead.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card