Helpful
Replies

QoS profiles and SSIDs

simmo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I can't get my head around this.....

I can set a QoS Profile per WLAN, and that can be Platinum, Gold etc.

I have an SSID for Voice, set to platinum.

I have an SSID for everything else..... but my laptop might want to do traffic that consists of various QoS settings, ie criticial business apps at Gold level, and web browsing at  best effort. Potentially, voice via jabber in the future.

How do I set a QoS profile when I really want all of them at different times?

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would set it for the highest value you would expect to see in the WLAN.

When the packet gets to the AP, the AP marks the CAPWAP header with the QoS value the client sent.  Unless the value is higher than what the WLAN is set for.

So if you are on a Silver WLAN, but send a Voice or Video QoS value, the CAPWAP header will be Silver.

In your scenario, you would want to set Platinum on the WLAN, so that when the Jabber client sets the packet to be Voice (EF), the AP puts the appropriate QoS on the CAPWAP header.

Make sense?

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You would set it for the highest value you would expect to see in the WLAN.

When the packet gets to the AP, the AP marks the CAPWAP header with the QoS value the client sent.  Unless the value is higher than what the WLAN is set for.

So if you are on a Silver WLAN, but send a Voice or Video QoS value, the CAPWAP header will be Silver.

In your scenario, you would want to set Platinum on the WLAN, so that when the Jabber client sets the packet to be Voice (EF), the AP puts the appropriate QoS on the CAPWAP header.

Make sense?

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

simmo
Level 1
Level 1

i get it now, thanks for your help steve.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card