Views
Helpful
Replies

Query on code upgrade on 3500 and 5500 in HA setup

andags
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I have 2 setups that need a code upgrade.

Two 3504 in HA system

Two 5508 in HA system.

I have some questions on code upgrade in HA mode:

1. As far as I understand you have to perform upgrade only on the primary and the second one will be automatically taken care of. My question is before resetting the system is there a way to verify if image is pushed to secondary controller without console access? If yes how to check?

2. Also in one of my system, the secondary is the active controller now. Should I do a "redundancy force-switchover" first, bring back the primary as main controller and then do upgrade?

3. Could you please list the steps that happen during WLC upgrade in HA . Like when the image is pushed to secondary, when image goes to APs. How to reset the system? Only reset on primary will help or bothe systems needs to be reloaded?Both the WLC should reboot at the same time?

Thanks for your Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>1. As far as I understand you have to perform upgrade only on the primary and the second one will be automatically taken care of. My question is before resetting the system is there a way to verify if image is pushed to secondary controller without console access? If yes how to check?

- Use the CLI to execute the upgrade procedure; you will then have a clear view of what happens including the steps of  what's done on the secondary controller.

2. Also in one of my system, the secondary is the active controller now. Should I do a "redundancy force-switchover" first, bring back the primary as main controller and then do upgrade?

Yes that is advisable in order to streamline procedures. Note  that redundancy force-switchover just and only reboots the box

3. Could you please list the steps that happen during WLC upgrade in HA . Like when the image is pushed to secondary, when image goes to APs. How to reset the system? Only reset on primary will help or bothe systems needs to be reloaded?Both the WLC should reboot at the same time?

AP's get new image when the HA-pair is rebooted. reset system  on primary will reboot both controllers after an upgrade has been done and or the controller should indeed be rebooted at the same time. Check more info below (you can also have a look at the options of the 'reset system' command to be able to check a reboot  out of office hours, for instance)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html#anc10

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@andags wrote:

Also in one of my system, the secondary is the active controller now.

Use the command "reset system force" to reboot both simultaneously. 

@andags wrote:

Could you please list the steps that happen during WLC upgrade in HA .

Upload the firmware to the controllers and instruct the APs to pre-download the image. 

WARNING:  

When upgrading from early 8.X.X.X to the recent version (from 8.5.X.X and later)  the AP 2700/3700 will do what we call as a "double-download".  It doesn't matter if one does the pre-download the AP will download and reboot TWICE.  The only way to stop this from happening is to force the AP to "final" image and then reboot the controllers.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>1. As far as I understand you have to perform upgrade only on the primary and the second one will be automatically taken care of. My question is before resetting the system is there a way to verify if image is pushed to secondary controller without console access? If yes how to check?

- Use the CLI to execute the upgrade procedure; you will then have a clear view of what happens including the steps of  what's done on the secondary controller.

Yes that is advisable in order to streamline procedures. Note  that redundancy force-switchover just and only reboots the box

AP's get new image when the HA-pair is rebooted. reset system  on primary will reboot both controllers after an upgrade has been done and or the controller should indeed be rebooted at the same time. Check more info below (you can also have a look at the options of the 'reset system' command to be able to check a reboot  out of office hours, for instance)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/68835-wlc-upgrade.html#anc10

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: