cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about AP's

umar bhatti
Level 1
Level 1

Is it better to use external DHCP for AP's or is it best to assign static IP on each acces point. Currenlty I've got 4 1142 AP's and they are on dynamic IP.

Thanks                  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can go either way. I tend to do static more especially in larger environments due to some requirements and maybe monitoring software. 4 AP's you can leave as dhcp, it's really up to you.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

That is fine unless you want to do QoS. Again, I tend to just tag the management vlan just in case.... future proof:)

-Scott

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can go either way. I tend to do static more especially in larger environments due to some requirements and maybe monitoring software. 4 AP's you can leave as dhcp, it's really up to you.

-Scott

Hi Scott once again thanks for your help. Yeh i probably leave it as dhcp. With your help my wireless is up and working fine now. just a quick question i used untag vlan between wlc and switch i am sure its ok do so.

That is fine unless you want to do QoS. Again, I tend to just tag the management vlan just in case.... future proof:)

-Scott

Ok will try that. One thing i wasn't sure of and that was the reason i didn't apply any vlans was the guest wireless. I wanted guest wireless to have only internet. But when i used vlan 100 for clients and 200 for guests on same manamgement interface with trunk on connected switch. every thing was fine but i couldn't figure out how i connect firewall directly for the guest wirless. So i just used saperate interface for clients and guests with untag vlans.

That is probably the best way.. Use a separate port for guest. Some FW if your using dhcp don't like the wlc to be configured for dhcp proxy, but that is required if the wlc is also serving dhcp to maybe another WLAN. If your ports are connected as trunk and you did use different ports, then you need to make sure you only allow the specific vlan for that port. So for your management it would only allow vlan 100 and on your guest it would only allow vlan 200.

-Scott

yes i am using saperats porst and wlc is surving dhcp for guests clients. Shall i leave it as it is it safe.

I would leave it that way.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: