Views
Helpful
Replies

"Avoid Cisco AP Load" feature clarification

ajc
Level 7
Level 7

Hi all,

I have read the documentation but still a little bit confused between this feature and SSID load balancing.

1.-Let's say that I checked the box (meaning enabled), the AP radios are already assigned to an specific channel on 2.4 and 5 GHZ respectively and it has not reached the maximum number of clients allowed (SSID load balancing option is not being used). What is the behavior of the AP regarding this feature?

2.-What happens if the box is unchecked (meaning that "avoid cisco AP load" is not enabled), i have not reached the maximum number of clients allowed (SSID load balancing is not being used) so the load on that AP keeps growing. What is the expected behavior on the AP? 

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Poirier
Level 4
Level 4

This feature impacts the way channels will be assign to your APs (DCA algorithm).
If you check the box Avoid Cisco AP Load, the load from your own APs will be part of the equation when the DCA Algorithm assign channel to the APs.

Cisco recomends disabling it to "avoid frequent changes in DCA due to varying Load conditions" (cf Cisco Live BRKEWN-2670).

RRM_Avoid-Cisco-AP-load.jpg

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

CSCO12735765
Level 1
Level 1

AJC,

It's a setting that try to influence the client to attach to an AP that is less busy, When load balancing is enabled, basically it saying I'm too busy go talk to other AP.
her the bad part. This can cause significant delay in the client joining and passing traffic. It's not recommended to use, as it generally causes unneeded delays.

HTH

I still do not see the difference between this and Load Balancing where the AP sends a Message Code = 17. What kind of message is sent by the AP to "influence" the client to go into another AP less busy?, thanks for the previous reply

Nicolas Poirier
Level 4
Level 4

This feature impacts the way channels will be assign to your APs (DCA algorithm).
If you check the box Avoid Cisco AP Load, the load from your own APs will be part of the equation when the DCA Algorithm assign channel to the APs.

Cisco recomends disabling it to "avoid frequent changes in DCA due to varying Load conditions" (cf Cisco Live BRKEWN-2670).

RRM_Avoid-Cisco-AP-load.jpg

Thanks for replying. I have load balancing enabled and I could not understand the difference between that LB and Avoid Client load. The first one sends a message type = 17 to the client, the avoid client load I do not know.

In any case, the end goal was to understand how this parameter affected the RRM/DCA process. What you sent me does not make sense at all. Check the box (enabled) I think would actually means "AVOID AP LOAD IN THE RRM CALCULATION". Not checking the box (disabled) would mean, USE THE AP LOAD in the RRM PROCESS.

I clicked on accepted as solution but now I am not quite sure.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: