cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

r.westman r.westman Beginner Beginner ‎06-09-2015 12:38 AM Disable the Catalyst 3650 as a WLAN-controller in Cisco Prime?

atsetheodros
Level 4
Level 4

I am having difficulties to upgrade IOS for Catalyst 3650 with Converged Wired plus Wireless Access via PI running 3.8 version

And these switches are listing themselves as WLC.

How do I rectify this? Need help please.

8 Replies 8

That is normal. 

What version of IOS-XE running on your 3650? If you are using converged access wireless 16.3.x is the last code that supports that feature.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

You are right. I have a mix of 03.06.06E, 16.3.5b and 16.6.1 the thing is we are not using these switches as converged WLC.

I wanted to upgrade to 16.09.04 and keep all 3650s the same across the network.

if you are not using converged wlc, then you can upgrade your switches to 16.9.x without impacting any function. 

Follow the release note upgrade instructions carefully when you do upgrade switches. Test it with one stack & make sure you verify the process and time taken for these upgrades. Then you can plan out the rest

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3650/software/release/16-9/release_notes/ol-16-9-3650.html 

One thing to note is beyond 16.6.x release, it uses smart licensing on these switches, instead of RTU license. Keep that mind and make sure you have your smart license portal setup.

Keep this page bookmarked as it listed recommended software releases for Cisco switch platforms

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/214814-recommended-releases-for-catalyst-9200-9.html 

HTH

Rasika

Thank you so much!

But I was wondering a way to do it via PI just to avoid upgrading one by one and save time & effort.

If you have done it in the past and you are comfortable with that process, you can follow it. Here is some helpful document

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/training-events/product-training/prime-infrastructure-31/ja-swim/PI31-UpgradingDeviceSoftwareImages-JobAid.pdf 

Here is a video demonstration of that process taken from about document.

I would always test the manual method first and make sure you know what it involves & the time taken. Then test it with Cisco prime with one stack & slowly do bulk upgrades.

HTH

Rasika

Thank you once again, yes use bulk upgrade via PI however these converged WLCs wont appear for selected version to upgrade. The reason is they appeared as WLC not as typical switch.

Can you try to remove one from them in PI, then add them again, but under the networking tab and not the wireless controller tab? Not sure if that actually helps or not.

Have you tried to create a custom user defined group? This way you can dynamically or manually place devices with certain facts in that group and use that group for any other function. That is what I do to separate controller based switch from controllers and lab devices as an example. I also use user defined groups to manage aps that I want monitored versus any lab or aps I don’t want monitored.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card