cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Radios disabled

Thomas Ley
Level 1
Level 1

This might be a stupid question: I have 7 AIR-LAP 1231G-A-K9 APs: I have two of them up and working and the other 5 turned off: The vendor (before I was here) had a answer to every problem: add more APs. I know it's hard to believe. The WLC shows the five APs (Admin Status: disabled and Opertional Status disabled)I'm still recieving interference on the other two live AP's. The question: Could the five APs that are disabled still cause interference?

Thanks

Tom

7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not is the radios are down, which you have already stated they are.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott:

I didn't think so, but I'm running out places to look for the interference.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

You need to get a spectrum analyzer or just download inSIDDer to see what's around. Make sure your 2.4 ghz is not on the same channel. What have you done to determine its interference?

Sent from my iPad

-Scott

Scott:

I apologize I inadvertently hit the wrong star button: I meant to give you five stars. I'm using AirMagnet, slowly coming up to speed. I'm assuming I have interference because:I have 65% CRC Errors 

Scott:

Reasons for the occurrence of CRC errors: 1) Packet collisions that occur due to a dense population of client adapters 2) Overlapping access point coverage on a channel 3) High multipath conditions due to bounced signals 4) Presence of other 2.4-GHz signals from devices like microwave ovens and wireless handset phones. I don't think it is #1 I have very few clients and they not on the network all at once. It could be overlapping: although half of the APs are turn off. It could be mulitpath/bounced signals. This is a paper mill I'm working in, so I have huge Paper making machines (21/2 stories tall and half foot ball field long) and it could be wireless handsets (forklift drivers have cell phones) The other caviats are I'm getting the same CRC errors in warehouses where there are no machines and or forklifts operating. The APs are showing the same 60% error rates no matter what building they are in. I'm unable to find a location where the APs show a different CRC error. I'm rambling on but I'm not sure where to go next.

Thanks

Tom

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since you  mentioned it's a paper mill and you do have tall equipment, I don't see  how two APs can provide good coverage.  What is the power level on the  2.4?  Is your 2.4ghz data rates (802.11b) all set to mandatory?  Im guessing you might be seeing crc errors because of the poor signal and snr.

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Interference comes in many shapes and sizes:

1.  Interference from other wi-fi network nearby;

2.  Other forms of equipment using the 2.4 Ghz radio spectrum:  cordless DECT phones, microwave ovens, electric motors.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card