cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Radius authentication servers with Star mark (*) in cisco wlc.

Hi

After some upgradation of Cisco WLC, I have noticed the star mark infront of Radius authentication server.What does it represent?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

The star means that the server and WLC is talking each other. It is not only reachable. It is not just a ping but they are actually communicating on the RADIUS port or they had some communication on that port.

When you add a fresh server you don't see the star.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

Andy Mikulas
Level 4
Level 4

Via TAC 062018:

Asterisk means that server and WLC are talking each other and that WLC is sending auth request to the radius server.

You can verify with this:

(Cisco Controller) >show radius summary

(Cisco Controller) >show radius auth statistics

You can also try and set one of those radius servers on a test WLAN, try to connect and as soon as WLC send auth request packet you will see the asterisk.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Where exactly you see the mark? a screenshot should help.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

I am wondering the same thing... 

Here is a screenshot. Notice server index #11

/Thomas

Any information about this Star mark (*)

Hello,

these stars mark are mean the servers exists outside of your network or they are not directly connected tor have not the same gateway.

those servers which are connected over few hops or statically by having soe routing have star sign in it.

when the gateway of your server and WLC are same the star sign does not comes

Zain Khan
https://www.linkedin.com/in/forzain/

Hi Zain

Thanks for the mail.

I have all the servers with different gateways but some are showing with Star mark and some not

This seems to be one of the most undocumented things of the WLC ever. I don't have a rock solid answer at this point, but based on my own testing the asterisk (*) represents the state of the auth or acct server.

As test I created an auth server with IPv4 address 1.1.1.1. As long as it was not linked within a WLAN the (*) was not visible. Once it was linked still nothing changed until the first authentication request was send. During this authentication request the following lines where visible with "debug aaa all enable" activated:

*aaaQueueReader: Jan 26 00:52:29.036: [PA] Updated 'ACTIVE' state for '1.1.1.1 (Trigger: AUTH)' in AUTH and ACCT radius server list
*aaaQueueReader: Jan 26 00:52:29.036: [PA] AAA radius server state 'active' is updated for the server ip 1.1.1.1 on both auth/acct server list

The question is; what are the triggers for the WLC to change this status back to non-active if there are any. What do you see on the "Monitor -> Stats -> RADIUS Servers" for one of your servers for which the (*) is not visible?

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Saman Shamim
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps the star means the server is reachable from the WLC.

Hi Saman

thanks for the reply but all my radius servers are reachable.

Then why it shows star mark on some only.

Hi

The star means that the server and WLC is talking each other. It is not only reachable. It is not just a ping but they are actually communicating on the RADIUS port or they had some communication on that port.

When you add a fresh server you don't see the star.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi Flavio

Yes you are right.

The radius servers with which the communication with NAD is going on, shows the star mark.

Thanks for your help!!

Regards

Vikas Vashishtha

Hi

I configured a CT3504 with the initial setup wizard and make some additional configuration but only with the WLC and my notebook in the same IP Range.

I configured two RADIUS server and the first has this star mark (*) but the second not. The WLC can't reach the first server but mark this with the star. Why occur this behavior?

I just created a new radius on my WLC and it has no start. All the others has. Although I couldn´t find any doc explaining  exactly what it is, I have reasons to believe this indicate if WLC is communicating or not with the RADIUS server.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-.  

This is intersting.. maybe this is a bug. I use the version 8.5.110.0. I will update the WLC to 8.5.120.0 and if the behavior change I update the post.

I think also that the star mark is use when the RADIUS servers are connected.

hi 

@Flavio Miranda wrote:

I just created a new radius on my WLC and it has no start. All the others has. Although I couldn´t find any doc explaining  exactly what it is, I have reasons to believe this indicate if WLC is communicating or not with the RADIUS server.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-.  

@Flavio Miranda its very simple no need to find any doc just ping your RADIUS server from WLC if they have correct Pre-shared Authentication Key they will communicate with other

UOG.PNG

Zain Khan
https://www.linkedin.com/in/forzain/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: