cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Re: AP 9115AXI install EWC but keeps in capwap mode.

robertochicote
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mr. Ordoñez.

Were you able to find out something new for this case? Do you need us to provide you with some more information?
We await your kind response.
Thank you very much.

9 Replies 9

Hi @robertochicote 

Yes, I did the convertion to EWC what I found is this.

1. The AP will boot first with CAPWAP Image
  2. You need to isolate the AP a be sure that can't reach  your current WLC
  3. After 4 minutes aprox, then EWC context will start to boot and the wizard will start too.

Please be sure that the AP is isolate if the AP reach the current WLC then EWC will never begin

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

thanks for your reply.

Before trying to link it with the WLC that I mentioned before, we tried that in its physical location it took its own ewc, but as I have shown you before, there is no way. If it is true that in this location there are other Cisco Aironet APs running on the same subnet. Could this have something to do with it? We have this problem in two locations, in the rest the EWC was installed correctly and it was working. in my opinion it seems as if the EWC was not installed or started correctly…

Thanks in advance

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You need to capture the console logs from the AP to understand what is happening.
When was the AP manufactured? 
What version of EWC are you trying to install?
Refer to the WiFi 6 AP field notice in my signature below - it also applies to EWC ...

Hi Rich. Thanks for your reply.
I attach several screenshots to answer your questions.
In the image with the "show run" you will see that the configuration appears as if it were in capwap mode.
However, in the image of the "show version" command I attached, you can see that you have the ewc image (version 17.8.0.144) installed. We don't understand why it stays in capwap mode?
In fact, if I try to install any ewc image again, it tells me that it is already upgraded ( you can see attached "screenshot 4.png")
On the other hand, I attach in file .txt the console log in case it can help you (I only see attempts to join a wlc, is that correct?)
Thank you very much for your help.
We look forward to your impressions.
Thanks.
Kind regards.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. It's running 17.8 image and previously had 8.10.130.0 so it's not one of the new APs.
2. Still don't know what version you were trying to install because ap1g7 and C9800-AP-iosxe-wlc.bin file names don't tell me version numbers.  What was the name of the zip file you extracted those files from?
3. What is FlexME 192.168.1.1 which it has previously joined?
4. That is *not* a console log - it's a "show log" after logging into the AP which is missing lots of important information from power on of the AP.  You need a console connected to the AP to capture everything that happens from the moment it starts booting up.

At this point I would do a factory default reset on it to be sure you have a clean config to start up with in case it joined another WLC and downloaded a completely different config.  Obviously you need to make sure there are no other WLC/ME/EWC reachable from the AP.

Thanks Rich!
Sorry, the version we installed is 17.08.01.
I don't know why it searches for the ip 192.168.1.1, isn't it a default search?
We cannot provide you with the boot log because the AP is in another physical location and at the moment we do not have a cable to connect via console.

We have made several hard reset but the problem is not solved.
We have also isolated the AP by placing it on a single vlan and nothing happens...
There is also no other ewc/wlc on the same subnet.

Thanks again
I hope I have resolved your questions.
What else can we try?

The only way you'll solve this is with console logs - you should *always* have console access to your WLCs!

The AP has DEFINITELY joined a WLC called FlexME 192.168.1.1 previously - that's why it remembers those details. It may also have downloaded a config from that WLC.  If you've done a factory default reset and it's still showing that then that means it keeps rediscovering that WLC by one of the possible methods: PnP, DNS, broadcast to local subnet, broadcast + helper address to remote address or option 43.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add... there are some good points here for you to follow.  The main thing is to have a console output when you power cycle the ap and let it boot.  What you should do is bring the ap home, connect it to your network, hopefully you have PoE or an injector and see if the AP boots into EWC.  The only reason for this is that you probably don't have a controller at home that this ap can join, but if you do, then like what others mentioned you need to isolate this ap so that it can't discover any controllers.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott.
Thank you for your reply.
I answer:
At the moment in the location where this equipment is located we do not have a cable to connect by console.
In relation to isolating the AP, we already did it, we put it in an isolated vlan, but it was still the same.

If any other solution comes up, please let us know.

Thanks.
All the best.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card