Views
Helpful
Replies

Rebooting 8500 in HA mode

sainath9890
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys

we wanted to reboot 8500 which is in HA mode presently (IOS 8.3.X), can we reboot primary and secondary controller separately to avoid total outage.

What is the risk if we go with separate reboot ? What could be the failover time to secondary controller ?  what precautions should be taken ?

we added AP adder license count to controller recently and cisco doc recommended to reboot.

Thanks

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As long as both units are running the same firmware, you can boot the primary (and the secondary will take over) using the CLI command "redundancy force".

Hi Leo,
Thanks a lot for quick reply,

Is there any documents that tells procedure for rebooting 8500 series controller (HA mode)

HA deployment guide:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

@sainath9890 wrote:
Is there any documents that tells procedure for rebooting 8500 series controller (HA mode)

You want to reboot both units simultaneously or one by one?

Hi Leo,

We want to reboot one by one.

The command to reboot the ACTIVE unit is "redundancy force".

IMPORTANT:  Don't forget to enable CIMC.

Hi Leo,
Thanks for quick reply

Sorry I dint mention the actual model of controller , our controller is 8510
Does CIMC support in this model ?

Hi Balaji,
I can't see CIMC in 1st link. Could you brief us what is use of enabling CIMC in 8510 controller ?

Please refer the link for Accesing WLC via CIMC.

CIMC is used to take the console of WLC remotely.

Regards,
Sathiyanarayanan Ravindran

Please rate the post and accept as solution, if my response satisfied your question:)

Once CIMC is enabled, don't forget to upgrade the firmware FIRST.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adding to other post, I am in assumption that you have configured AP Primary and Secondary configuration. then as suggested @Leo Laohoo  good to go.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card