Views
Helpful
Replies

Recommendation on AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 replacement in warehouse

d16lee
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We have a customer with ~15 x AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 that they would like to replace with N capable devices in a warehouse.  The warehouse has ~30 ft ceiling and is ~300' x ~200'.  It's got around twenty 20' tall x 100' long metal shelves with cardboard & metallic content in the middle of the warehouse...

Currently, it's got some dark spots between some of the shelves.  I'm thinking of the Aironet 3502E with dipole antennas, but I'm wondering if I need a patch antenna like the AIR-ANT5160NP-R to increase the power output...  Also, what are some recommendations on placement of the AP's and antennas?  Would ceiling mount be OK, or would you go with wallmount?

Thanks in advanced for the community's feedback.

-Dave

2 Replies 2

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Since the release of 802.11n, its been great for warehouses. Warehouses often suffer from multipath. 802.11n needs multipath. It also allows for beam forming to non-802.11n clients. Good choice and the 3500 will give you clean air.

I've had great success with warehouse deployments by shaping the signal to the area of coverage and not so much with the omni or dipoles. Especially, if you ceiling mount them.

Ive fixed a lot of deployments where dipole and omni's were all mounted to ceiling. However when you go up on a lift truck and get above the racks you will see all the APs see each other.

Thus why i like directions for warehouses. Cuts down on exsessive bleed.

Thats just my 2 pennys

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want CleanAir then 3500e is the way to go.  Otherwise if you just want 802.11n then 1260 is your port of call.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card