Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovery to LWAPP Conversion

burgessf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I started with an autonomous 1142N AP that I needed to convert to LWAPP.  I have successfully downloaded the recovery image to the AP.  When I issue the show version command, here is my output:

System image file is "flash:/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx/c1140-rcvk9w8-mx"

I have saved the desired IOS image to my PC/tftp server.  What are the steps to added the ios image to the AP so that it can join the controller?               

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

manbaez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello burgessf,

Thank you for contacting the Sales Acceleration Center (SAC) regarding your recent inquiry, Case Number 79456

Case Description:
Community :Recovery to LWAPP Conversion

Case Solution:
Please follow the following instruction for Autonomous to Lightweight

If you are moving from an Autonomous AP environment to a WLC based infrastructure, you will be required to convert your existing Access Points to Light Weight Access Points.

This method uses an Ethernet link between the AP and a TFTP Server to download the AP image and carry out the conversion.

• Connect to AP CLI using telnet or console
  • Download relevant LWAPP image for the AP model from www.cisco.com
  • Download a TFTP server application (Ttfpd32)
  • Use the following command to upgrade the IOS:-
archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://location/image-name

E.g. archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://10.1.1.10/ c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-21a.JA2.tar

where -

TFTP Server IP: 10.1.1.10 Image Name: c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-21a.JA2.tar AP Model: 1142N /overwrite: overwrites the existing image /reload: reloads the AP after upgrade

*NOTE: LWAPP Image name always contains “rcv” keyword in the image name

After the AP reboots, it will come up at AP> prompt and the mode changed to LWAPP. Get into enable mode and run following commands:

clear lwapp private-config clear lwapp ap hostname clear lwapp ap ip address clear lwapp ap ip default-gateway clear lwapp ap controller ip address

The above command will clear out the existing IP configuration of the AP. Once the old configuration is cleared out, we will now assign new IP address to the LWAPP. The most important bit is the assignment of the WLC IP address. This can be done in a number of ways – like DNS, DHCP Option 43 etc.

We are showing a static WLC IP assignment using the CLI below:-

lwapp ap hostname AP1140 lwapp ap ip address 10.1.1.199 255.255.255.0 lwapp ap ip default-gateway 10.1.1.1 lwapp ap controller ip address 10.1.1.100

The above commands configure the Hostname, IP Address, Default Gateway and WLC Address for the LAP. If the WLC is connected in the environment at this time, the LAP will start downloading the complete image from the WLC

Please follow the following instruction for LightweighttoAutonomous

You can follow this VIDEO that will help you to understand (https://supportforums.cisco.com/videos/2089)

As per your confirmation, I am going to close the case for this specific inquiry. We strive to provide you with excellent service. Please feel free to reach out to me or any member of the SAC team if we can be of any further assistance or if you have any other related questions in the future. We value your input and look forward to serving you moving forward.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

manbaez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello burgessf,

Thank you for contacting the Sales Acceleration Center (SAC) regarding your recent inquiry, Case Number 79456

Case Description:
Community :Recovery to LWAPP Conversion

Case Solution:
Please follow the following instruction for Autonomous to Lightweight

If you are moving from an Autonomous AP environment to a WLC based infrastructure, you will be required to convert your existing Access Points to Light Weight Access Points.

This method uses an Ethernet link between the AP and a TFTP Server to download the AP image and carry out the conversion.

• Connect to AP CLI using telnet or console
  • Download relevant LWAPP image for the AP model from www.cisco.com
  • Download a TFTP server application (Ttfpd32)
  • Use the following command to upgrade the IOS:-
archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://location/image-name

E.g. archive download-sw /overwrite /reload tftp://10.1.1.10/ c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-21a.JA2.tar

where -

TFTP Server IP: 10.1.1.10 Image Name: c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-21a.JA2.tar AP Model: 1142N /overwrite: overwrites the existing image /reload: reloads the AP after upgrade

*NOTE: LWAPP Image name always contains “rcv” keyword in the image name

After the AP reboots, it will come up at AP> prompt and the mode changed to LWAPP. Get into enable mode and run following commands:

clear lwapp private-config clear lwapp ap hostname clear lwapp ap ip address clear lwapp ap ip default-gateway clear lwapp ap controller ip address

The above command will clear out the existing IP configuration of the AP. Once the old configuration is cleared out, we will now assign new IP address to the LWAPP. The most important bit is the assignment of the WLC IP address. This can be done in a number of ways – like DNS, DHCP Option 43 etc.

We are showing a static WLC IP assignment using the CLI below:-

lwapp ap hostname AP1140 lwapp ap ip address 10.1.1.199 255.255.255.0 lwapp ap ip default-gateway 10.1.1.1 lwapp ap controller ip address 10.1.1.100

The above commands configure the Hostname, IP Address, Default Gateway and WLC Address for the LAP. If the WLC is connected in the environment at this time, the LAP will start downloading the complete image from the WLC

Please follow the following instruction for LightweighttoAutonomous

You can follow this VIDEO that will help you to understand (https://supportforums.cisco.com/videos/2089)

As per your confirmation, I am going to close the case for this specific inquiry. We strive to provide you with excellent service. Please feel free to reach out to me or any member of the SAC team if we can be of any further assistance or if you have any other related questions in the future. We value your input and look forward to serving you moving forward.

Thanks Manuel................I didn't realize that the hard part was done when I got the Lightweight recovery image on the AP.  My problem was that the Ethernet drop I connected the AP to was set to the wrong wireless vlan.  Once I made the correction, the AP was able to reach the controller where it could receive the correct image.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: