Views
Helpful
Replies

Redirect URL after authentication with PSK - WLC 5508 - 8.0.140.0

jonatan.sitter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

A client of us has requested that every user on wireless network should get redirected to a certain webpage after the authentication process. The users authenticate via PSK.

All guides and discussion that I've found are about external authentication.

Is there any way or form to configure one of many SSID's for this behaviour?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Replies 4

But if I understand correctly, guest authentication requieres that guest users need to be added as "Local Net Users" under SECURITY on the WLC.
I configured my WLAN with Layer-2 security WPA+WPA2 PSK and Layer-3 with Web Policy "Passthrough". When logging in to the network using the PSK my browser opens with the defined Web Login Page but after pressing "Accept" on the Web Login Page I don't get redirected to the URL defined as "Redirect URL after login"

Just noticed that I forgot "https://" when defining the redirect URL after login.
Now after accepting what's being displayed on the Web Login Page it redirects me to the defined webpage.
Is there no way to configure it without the Web Login Page? Somehow my smartphone closes it's own browser after accepting the login.

The WLC can cooperate with the on-boarding mechanism of your end-point which is called a "mini browser" on mobile devices. These mini browsers have been developed to provide a safe and easy way to display captive portals. Due to this the user experience and level of functionality cannot be compared with a regular browser. On Android devices this mini browser will automatically close once it detects that there is access towards the internet. This is the expected behavior since its job is to on-board the end-user with as goal internet access.

You can't just redirect traffic of the end-point and force it to open a webpage, especially with all the encrypted traffic these days. As an end-user I'm quite happy with that to be honest :-)

Please rate useful posts... :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: