cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundant NCS server connected to a single WLC??? Is it possible?

thiernogueye
Level 1
Level 1

Guys

I have a question. I have a customer who has 2 NCS servers; 1 residing at their corporate site and the other residing at their local site.

They have a WLC2504 controller at the local site. They would like to connect both ncs servers to to the local WLC.

Is it possible to connect 2 ncs servers to a single controller?

Can WLC configuration databases on two different NCSs be the same?

How can you prevent 1 NCS from overwritting the other?

CAn both NCS servers be synched?

Thanks                    

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure guy can connect two management tools to a single WLC, but why. The two NCS will not sync info unless your running HA on the NCS.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Well, originally the infrastructure has been running and managed locally with the NCS. Years later, corporate got involved and want to manage the wireless infrastructure at all local sites.

The question was: How do we handle 2 NCS servers?

Running HA on the NCS requires the secondary server to be in standby mode, not running. is that correct?

I believe you cannot have 2 NCS servers runnnig simultaneously connected to 1 WLC, is that correct?

Running HA on the NCS requires the secondary server to be in standby mode, not running. is that correct?

>>>That is correct

I believe you cannot have 2 NCS servers running simultaneously connected to 1 WLC, is that correct?

>>>You can have as many as you want.... you really only want to have one manage it though... its just snmp.  MSE can only be tied to one management platform, but WLC's don't care.  I have WCS and Prime tied to my WLC's in my home lab.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott

Back in the WCS days, my understanding was that WLC configuration databases on two different WCSs couldn't be the same? Am i wrong?

My big concern is somebody using the remote NCS making changes to the WLC and another person using the local NCS make another change. Wouldn't it be easier to:

1. only have 1 NCS

2. Provide different accounts (read only, read/write...) to whomever needs it. This way you can really limit mistakes due to miscommunication

I could be wrong with my options above. Do you have any suggestions?

Anyway, why do YOU have 2 servers tied to your signle WLC?

Thanks

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Yes it can possible if you configure HA between two NCS. The below is the link for the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/ncs/1.1/configuration/guide/mse.html#wp1303427

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card