cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Registered WLC redundancy

ricardorojas123
Level 1
Level 1

I have two WLC 4400 and the APs are registered in the WLCB, but I need that the APs are registered in the WLCA. In the Wireless / Access Point section, I configure in the field "Primary Controller Name" the name of the WLCA, but AP are restarted but they remain in the WLCB.

Both WLC have the same Operative System.

4 Replies 4

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

Make sure the controllers are in the same mobility group and that AP fallback is enabled.

Yes. the WLCs have the same Mobility Group (Controller / mobility Managment / Mobility Group) and the feature AP fallback is enable (Controller / General / Ap Fallback).

I reset the AP but these dont register in the WLCA, these are back to WLCB :(

I reset to default the Access Points (from LAP -> to AP ... from AP -> to LAP) and enter CLI lwapp comands in the Access Points and this AP is registered in the WLCA ... but the other LAPs remain registered in the WLCB ...

any suggest

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In my experience with the 4.X firmware, there is a known bug between the GUI and the CLI when you configure the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Controllers.

When using the GUI to configure this settings, most of the time it won't work. You can verify the settings with the CLI command show ap config general . On the bottom of the first page, you will see "Primary Cisco Switch Name" followed by "Primary Cisco Switch IP Address" and so on. To enable the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Controllers there should be values in BOTH and not just one.

In my experience with this firmware, I had to manually configure the name and IP address and "failover" of the LAP became successful.

This issue has been fixed since the 5.X/6.X firmware.

If you log into WLCB where the AP in question is joined to and enter the CLI command configure ap primary .

Hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card