Views
Helpful
Replies

Registering IP on mscb failed for station

Brendan Marmont
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a mobile user who is unable to connect to a wireless network, he can connect to other wirless networks no problem.

The log has the following:

*DHCP Socket Task: Dec 21 08:46:41.630: %DHCP-4-IPRGSTR_MSCB_FAIL: dhcp_proxy.c:1648 Registering IP on mscb failed for station04:46:65:89:95:9d

*DHCP Socket Task: Dec 21 08:46:41.630: %APF-6-MOBILE_EXCLUDED: apf_ms.c:4332 Excluded the mobile 04:46:65:89:95:9d.

WLC 5508 software v7.0.116.0

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Brendan

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well the client looks excluded. So make sure the encryption is setup correctly and then on the WLAN SSID advanced tab, uncheck the excluded client for now. Type in the shared key again if your using PSK.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

That first error message, is telling you that the client was given an IP address but the WLC couldn't install it into the MSCB, Mobile Station Control Block.  This is where the WLC stores the client MAC, IP and what AP, or WLC if the client roamed across WLC, so that it knows where to send the traffic.

I'd take a look at the clients, once he's no longer excluded, and see if there is a stale entry sitting there.  you might also want to check your MAC filter on the WLC to see if he's trying to get an IP in an interface he's not allowed to attach to.

Last, reboot the WLC, this will clear the MSCB entirely, and then see if the client is still having an issue getting on the network.

you could also try

config client deauthenticate 04:46:65:89:95:9d

and see if that will remove the entry as well.

HTH,

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate helpful posts or to mark the question as answered so that it can be found later.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks Steve, when I filter on the MAC "

I tried the 'config client deauth...' and get "Client specified is unknown."

I'll reboot the WLC over the weekend. I hope this is not a regular issue, rebooting the WLC to clear the MSCB each time we have a problematic client is going to wear thin

Cheers,

Brendan

Thanks Scott,

I unchecked the Client Exclusions box, he is now getting "Client Deauthenticated: MACAddress:04:46:65:89:95:9d Base Radio MAC:b8:62:1f:44:d9:40 Slot: 0 User Name: unknown Ip Address: unknown Reason:Unspecifi@"

I might try rebooting the controller over the weekend to clear the MSCB as another poster has suggested.

Cheers,

Brendan

What type of client is this and it's th only one having the issue correct?  Also, what security method are you using?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card