cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting a AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9

ConMiMente
Level 1
Level 1

This summer the IT department at my location rolled out a little more than 100 AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9's to much success. We have had an issue with only one AP. This paticular AP must have gotten unplugged during the updating process after the initial conneciton to the controller was made as the LED currently blinks red-blue-red, indicating an error in the flash memory according to the manual.

One thing the manual does not indicate is how to either flash, or hard reset the firmware/memory on these devices. Please advise how to reset this device so that it can be utilized. Please request additional information as needed

8 Replies 8

pcroak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ralph,

Will you be able to get console access to this AP? You can try holding down the mode button for 30 seconds at power ON to see if a reset on the AP will clear up the issue. If not, we can try the following:

I suspect the AP is stuck in the bootloader, the "ap:" prompt. From here, lets try to initialize the flash system and see what files are present:

flash_init

dir flash:

If there is an image present, capture the console output and try to boot the AP:

boot

If we are missing an image or the AP fails to boot, we will want to try loading the recovery image on the AP. The 3500 recovery image is :

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283307699&catid=278875243&softwareid=280775090&release=12.4.23c-JA2&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

To load the image using TFTP, Use set commands to setup the APs IP address:

ap: set IP_ADDR w.x.y.z

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER w.x.y.a

ap: set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

ap: set TERMLINES 0

ap: tftp_init

ap: tar -xtract tftp://w.x.y.z/ap3g1-rcvk9w8-tar.124-23c.JA2.tar flash:

If you capture the console output on this AP upon power on and during the boot process, we may be able to narrow it down.

-Patrick Croak

Wireless TAC

Took me awhile to figure out how to rename without an example. It's mandatory to include flash: in both old and new filename.

flash_init
dir flash;

Directory of flash:/

2    -rwx  1050                     event.log
4    -rwx  64                       sensord_CSPRNG1
5    drwx  640                      ap3g1-k9w8-mx.124-23c.JA4
40   -rwx  64                       sensord_CSPRNG0
41   -rwx  6168                     private-multiple-fs
42   -rwx  170                      env_vars
11   drwx  128                      ap3g1-rcvk9w8-mx

23516672 bytes available (8223232 bytes used)

ap: rename flash:env_vars flash:old_vars

ap: rename flash:private-multiple-fs flash:old-fs

I know it's a couple of years later, but thanks for this post.  I was trying to figure how to restore my 3502 and was coming up empty handed after several dead ends.

Hi dear I have problem please help me? 

I have a Cisco access point AIR-CAP3502I-E-K9 and I want to reset factory but didn't reset please talk me what I doing that. 

The ELD of AP lighting red and blue I cant work to CLI for configure the AP this don't accept the comment of three mode that is user mode,  privilege mode and configure mode that is not working. 

Please help me sir! 

You might have an AP with a CAPWAP (lightweight) image. With those you have a massively restricted CLI.

You can reset it by using the reset button, manual: https://popravak.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/resetting-cisco-capwaplwap-access-point-to-factory-defaults/

Hi dear teacher thanks your Email.
I need a autonomous frimware for cisco Ap air cap3500i.
This version in Cisco software have but I couldn't downloaded
Please help me what I doing.

If you look at the model of your AP, "CAP" means capwap or lightweight access point and requires a controller.  If you want to have this ap as a standalone, you need to convert it.  You can find many videos and blog on capwap to autonomous or lightweight to autonomous.  However, you will need to be able to download the image which always requires support.  You might also find the image somewhere online, but thats a long shot.

For any Cisco ap, holding the mode button for 20 seconds while powering up the ap will factory reset the ap.  This doesn't change your ap from capwap to autonomous or vice versa.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi dear thanks alot your email.
I couldn't download the image of air cap3500i autonomous mode please help
me if you can download sent me i need alot to this email address thanks
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card