cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restrict WLAN service area

gabsfedor
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, is there a way to restrict the service area of a WLAN to a specific area? I mean for instance to have a WLAN available to users located inside a room and not available outside of it even is there is signal leaking beyond that room. I've seen this done on other vendors using the location services but I'm not sure if it is possible with the Cisco solution (WLC + WCS + Location Appliance). Thanks and regards,

Gabriel

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

stefan.angerer
Level 1
Level 1

The only thing you can do is to create AP Groups, so that only a few APs (or maybe just a single one) is configured with that specific SSID.

(if you are still running on older code (up to 4.2) this feature is called WLAN override there)

Hope that helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I mean for instance to have a WLAN available to users located inside a room and not available outside of it even is there is signal leaking beyond that room.

There are few ways of doing this ...

1.  As Stefan as stated, if you have controller-based AP then AP Groups is very popular.

2.  Now if your can restrict the "footprint" of your wireless then you can use LobbyAdministrator (controller-based) as another option.  For autonomous or stand-alone, then RADIUS/TACACS or 802.1X is the way to go.  This way you take control of who as access to your wireless network in that area based on specific SSID of your choosing.

3.  If you want to do something about physical, you can bring down the power of the transmitter but this means that you will need to regularly monitor the signal strength until you get the right mix.  You may also have to put additional APs too.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

stefan.angerer
Level 1
Level 1

The only thing you can do is to create AP Groups, so that only a few APs (or maybe just a single one) is configured with that specific SSID.

(if you are still running on older code (up to 4.2) this feature is called WLAN override there)

Hope that helps,

Stefan

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I mean for instance to have a WLAN available to users located inside a room and not available outside of it even is there is signal leaking beyond that room.

There are few ways of doing this ...

1.  As Stefan as stated, if you have controller-based AP then AP Groups is very popular.

2.  Now if your can restrict the "footprint" of your wireless then you can use LobbyAdministrator (controller-based) as another option.  For autonomous or stand-alone, then RADIUS/TACACS or 802.1X is the way to go.  This way you take control of who as access to your wireless network in that area based on specific SSID of your choosing.

3.  If you want to do something about physical, you can bring down the power of the transmitter but this means that you will need to regularly monitor the signal strength until you get the right mix.  You may also have to put additional APs too.

Thanks for both replies. I'll try and implement it with AP Groups then.

Gabriel.

Thanks for the rating. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: