cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Running AP's in HREAP (FlexConnect) Mode When They Are Local to Controller.

Luis Sanchez
Level 1
Level 1

We are thinking about buying two 5508 controllers and thirty 3602 Access Points.  I looked into the benefits of running the AP in HREAP (FlexConnect) for our remote locations.  Why would I not run my AP's in my HQ (local to the controller) in HREAP mode instead of local mode to take advantage of the same benefits?

I'm guessing I will lose some benefits but I'm not sure what.  Can someone help explain this me?

1 Reply 1

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you can certainly use it if you don't have backup WLC at your HQ. Listing the Cons for locally switched wlan.

Cons are:-

#L3 roaming is not possible with hreap APs using locally switched wlan.

#L2 roaming between two WLC(inter-controller) using locally switched wlan with same mobility works only from 7.2.103.0.

#Data DTLS is unsupported for locally switched wlan.

#Interfacegroup is not supported however we can use AAA override.

#Mediastream feature won't work.

#Bandwidth contracts won't work for local switching.

#WGB can't connect to hreap AP. (it may connect & work with central but doesn't work with local switching)

#All edge switches connecting to AP needs to be trunked to the core.

#Hreap AP doesn't join Multicast group. however it bridges the multicast packet to unicast for centrally switched wlan.

#dhcp proxy by WLC is not possible. so we're exposing the dhcp server ip.

#ACLs needs to be configured & managed per AP for locally switched traffic or configure at your switch.

#cpu & interface acl are NA for locally switched wlan.

#RLDP may not work.

#AP group won't work for locally switched wlan.

#Locally switched WLANs may optionally carry 802.1Q tagging to allow such WLANs to be segmented over the wired network at the Ethernet port of the access point.

#NAC out-of-band integration is supported only on WLANs configured for H REAP central switching. It is not supported for use on WLANs configured for H REAP local switching.

#External Web Authentication is not supported on local switching

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080b3690b.shtml

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card