cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Self Identifying Antennas Supported on 9120 EWC

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

Are Self Identifying Antennas supported on EWC on a 9120?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

I cannot find where it's documented. It does not seem to be. It is documented that it is supported by the WLC and what software versions, but I cannot find anything about EWC supporting them.

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Support for self-identifying antennas are available only from 17.5 for any 9800 WLC. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-5/release-notes/rn-17-5-9800.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-antennas-accessories/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html#:~:text=on%20the%20antenna.-,Connectors,-According%20to%20the

Unfortunately EWC documentation is not clear as to whether this feature is supported or not. So my recommendation at this point is to open a TAC case to find out how EWC will handle SIA's. If you open a TAC case please make sure that TAC engineer updates the documentation by creating a documentation bug or provide you a link where it is clearly documented. (Cisco Feature navigator doesn't support EWC)

That being said, since the WLC running in EWC is a toned down version of IOS-XE running in 9800, I expect this feature to work provided you are running supported firmware (I have not tested myself as I don't have immediate access to a EWC)

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

Much appreciated. Working with TAC now. If I get an update, I'll post in here.

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

I did not have much luck at all with TAC due to their silly internal processes. I did obtain a self-identifying antenna and installed it. I cannot see anywhere in the radio options or status the indication of the EEPROM being read with populated gain values, so it's hard to say if it's even be used or not.

emuman100
Level 1
Level 1

TAC was no help on this matter, but it looks like EWC does, in fact, support the self identifying antenna:

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 11.07.58 PM.png

As you can see above, this is the AP configuration menu, and clocking on the radio configurations, it shows the antenna inventory with the self identifying antenna.

Hopefully this post is helpful to someone.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card