cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Separate vlan for wireless voice

martynch1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I'm about to embark on reconfiguring my home lab, at present I have just 2 vlans which are for VoIP and data, I'm going to split my network so I have the following:

Data VLAN for our home PC's

Voice VLAN for phones

1 wireless VLAN for home laptops

1 wireless VLAN for games consoles

1 wireless guest access so I don't have to give out my own ssid credentials

1 Management VLAN

My question is do I have a separate VLAN for wireless VOIP or do I just use the same Voice VLAN?

Regards

Martyn

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

5 Replies 5

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Martyn:
Both solutions are valid. You can use the current voice VLAN or create a new VLAN.

If you create a new VLAN you need to apply needed QoS to wired side as well.

If your current Voice VLAN is already configured for QoS then using it for wirelss voice is easier.

So the preffered option is to use your current voice VLAN for wireless voice as well.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should use a separate VLAN for voice as well. Otherwise you may have issues talking to devices that are in the wire.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Steve,

I think Martyn has already a separate VLAN for wired voice. He is just wondering if he can use same voice vlan that is running already on his wired infrastructure as a voice vlan for wireless or he needs to create new voice vlan for wireless that is separated than the wired voice vlan.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Yes. I'm just saying you want a separate VLAN for voice as well on the WLC. Otherwise you can get some weird issues as the WLC doesn't like to bridge traffic for a dynamic interface.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Steve, 

I have the same scenario where voice VLAN is the same for wired and wireless and I would like to better understand why is it better to create separate VLAN's for wired voice and wireless voice from a WLC point of view. Thank you. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card