cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Server 2008 R2 RADIUS Server with a Cisco Aironet 1040 Wireless AP

dcgtechnologies
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to get Server 2008 R2 RADIUS Server to work with a Cisco Aironet 1040 Wireless AP. I have installed the RADIUS server by MS standards and performed some searches on Google to configure the Cisco Aironet. I see others using a Wireless LAN Controller, which I do not have. I found this post below:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11546056/wlc-2504-radius-2008-r2-server

But I have yet to locate a good step by step document on how to set it up and I have found so many different ways that others have set it up, but none have yet to work. I am having authentication issues that I have know of and I do not see any errors in the Windows Event Viewer and I do not know where the Acess Point stores it logs for any sort of error. Keep in mind this is the first time I am doing this. I do not have a Wireless LAN Controller and all my network / domain services are on individually built servers and not on one single server as I have seen with most of the documentation they all say the same thing by putting the Certificate Services, Domain Services (AD / ADS, etc), and NPS. I do not want that configuration and my setup should not be any different, but something is not right. I know from reading that this is not rocket science, but from someone who has never done it before this is difficult as I keep reading on and so many people do it different ways including what I have been reading according to what Cisco says to configure in the environment. Does anyone know where I can find good step by step documentation along with where I can look for logs on either device? I find that all the documentation I see on Cisco's website and from searching that it is old and outdated and not been updated in a long time so it is hard to determine what works and what does not work. I am stumped here and have been doing this for several weeks now with no luck. Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

Vibhor Sahni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have installed the RADIUS server by MS standards", I am assuming that you have would have configured the 2008 correctly and might be facing issues with the AP configuration part.

Please check if the AP is running autonomous image i.e k9w7. If yes, then I think this doc would be able to provide you a brief on how to set the radius setting on AP via GUI.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1100-series/44844-leapserver.html

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

Vibhor

I did configure the Server 2008 R2 RADIUS Server using this video below: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-0MM_tK-Tk

I also referenced Technet to make sure it was configured correctly as well. I am still not sure if I am 100% setup correctly on the Windows Server side, but I for sure want to make sure I have the AP side setup correctly. Do you know of a better article for the Windows Server 2008 R2 setup? Does it matter that I do not have all the services installed on the same server? Instead I have them installed on multiple servers.

I have image number c1140-k9w7-tar.124.25d.JA1 on the AP. The part that confused me in that article, which I have seen before was the part about "Setting up access point must be configured in the authentication server as an AAA client." What is the AAA Client? I also am not aware of having Cisco Secure ACS anywhere built into the AP as that part through me off completely. Do I need to skip these steps? Thank you for help on this.

Anyone??? Anyone? Still having issues. I am thinking it is with the MS Side of things. I am getting user account authentication issues along with making sure the certificate stuff works as well. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card