Views
Helpful
Replies

setting up aironet 1262N autonomous

Marc Angelo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am having issues setting up a few Aironet 1262s (AIR-LAP1262N-E-K9)

They are powered from a 3560 PoE-8 (only one at a time) and they power up...
The power comes on and the light flashes green for bit (I assume booting)

The light then is yellow for a 30s-60s(no flashing)

The light then is green for a further 30s-60s(no flashing)

Then the light flashes green-red-off ad infinitum

I have a console cable connected via PuTTY (I've tried at 9600 and 115200 baud) and I see no post messages I might expect and there are no responses to any keyboard input.

The device does successfully get an IP from DHCP (according to the DHCP logs)

This IP can be pinged ok

There is no response to http or https requests from the browser the host "refused to connect"

There is no response on ssh in the IP either...

I'm stuck - are these things bricks or am I doing something seriously wrong?

All help appreciated,

Many thanks in advance,

Marc

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Marc,

I have downloaded the image "ap3g1-k9w8-tar.153-3.JD3.tar"

You have to download k9w7 image for autonomous & follow given instruction. Then you should be good with conversation. Here is another post explain those image differences & conversion process.

https://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/

Let me know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

View solution in original post

Hi Rasika,

Re the console cable: Good advice but it's been used OK with other Cisco devices without issue. I can move it from a switch that provided console in/output into the AP and I get nothing - then connect the switch back and I get input output ok...

I was wondering whether these APs were bricked..? Then I had a bit of a breakthrough!

I have tried Windows PC with tftp64 and Solar Winds, and Ubuntu with atftpd

Ubuntu (live) with atftp server running outside inetd:

ubuntu tftp setup

with logging level set to "7" seemed to provide the most helpful information.

Method:

1) Ubuntu PC with ATFTPD installed and the appropriately named image file in TFTP root folder - again with (chmod 644) read perms. Eth port IP 10.0.0.2/255.0.0.0 .

2) Cisco 1262N AP direct connect with indy power supply (not PoE)

3) a)Power up AP while holding "reset" button

b) AP indictator will briefly flash green then flash just blue for about 20 seconds

c) After the 20 second the indicator will be solid red - now release the "reset" button

4) The indicator will then flash green for 10 to 20 minutes - during this time the ATFTPD logs will show that the image file is "serving" and no other messages during the transfer - be patient.

5) The indicator will finally turn solid yellow which means that the transfer is complete - the ATFTPD logs should confirm this stating "End of transfer"

6) Five minutes later the indicator is solid green - which I believe is the image has been installed on the AP.

7) Connect the AP to a network with DHCP - find the address and configure at you like.

My outstanding questions are...

1) The console not working is strange - it's either a fault or a setting - what do you think?

2) The above process worked - is there anything you need to add/modify so I can mark a response of yours as an accepted solution? 

The next thing I have to do is configure the APs

Best regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

I am glad you finally got it converted. Not exactly sure why you had that trouble with console connection.

Regarding configuration you can go with following basic configs (Replace <xxxx> in below config with what you want).  Once configured you can plug this to DHCP enabled port & you ready with your wireless.

hostname <AP_Name>
!
dot11 ssid <SSID_Name>
   authentication open
   authentication key-management wpa version 2
   guest-mode
   wpa-psk ascii <SSID_Password>
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
 ssid <SSID_Name>
 no shutdown
!
interface Dot11Radio1
 channel width 40-above
 ssid <SSID_Name>
 no shutdown
!
interface BVI1
 ip address dhcp
!
end
write memory

HTH

Rasika

13 Replies 13

Hi Marc,

I suspect AP got lightweight image, so without converting to Autonomous you may not able to use it.

See below post on conversion procedure and see whether you got right software images prior to convert it.

https://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

Very helpful indeed.

I have downloaded the image "ap3g1-k9w8-tar.153-3.JD3.tar" from Cisco software. I also downloaded a couple of older versions just in case...

I renamed the file as specified in your blog.

I created a vlan for the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet on the switch.

Local TFTP on 10.0.0.2.

Powered (by PoE) the AP while holding down reset - it flashed blue (~20s) until the red light came on then I released the button.

The light flashed green for ~30s then after just flashed red forever...

No activity logged on the TFTP server.

No ping replies from the AP (continuous ping).

Still no activity during that operation on the AP via the console cable.

So we need to try something else perhaps?

Thank you again,

Marc

Marc Angelo
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE: the AP (all exhibit this behaviour) requests 2 IPs from the DHCP then drops one of those leases and get a fresh IP lease. It drops that lease after a short while and gets another IP - over and over.

Sometimes it cannot be pinged on the IP addresses - this must be because they're dropping the IPs?

Anyway - extra symptoms... all help is appreciated.

Best,

Marc

Hi Marc,

I have downloaded the image "ap3g1-k9w8-tar.153-3.JD3.tar"

You have to download k9w7 image for autonomous & follow given instruction. Then you should be good with conversation. Here is another post explain those image differences & conversion process.

https://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/

Let me know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

There are many versions of the "k7" file to download - which one can I use?

Do you have an image you can send me to save time?

Thanks

Marc

Just take the latest version which is supported by your AP model.

Hi Marc,

I would try "ap3g1-k9w7-tar.153-3.JD17.tar"

Sorry, we cannot share software images

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

I have made progress in getting the Autonomous firmware onto the 1262N AP.

I have downloaded the TFTP server your blogs suggest (TFTP32) onto my win10 PC. I disabled all firewalls etc. An I placed the correct (I checked the md5) "k9w7" file (named xxx.default etc.) on the tftp root on the PC.

PC's IP address 10.0.0.2

Then connected and powered the AP while holding down "reset"...

AP flashing blue (~20 seconds) then solid red - I released "reset"...

On the PC, TFTP notified me that the file has been requested by 10.0.0.1:1024...

I get a popup stating "0 bytes transferred , 0 bytes/second" and the number of bytes to transfer but...

Then it fails stating that "TIMEOUT waiting for Ack block #1"

I have tried different subnets:

10.0.0.2/24 and 10.0.0.2/8

No difference...

All help appreciated.

Best,

Marc

On your console, you should see something similar to below

button is pressed, wait for button to be released...
button pressed for 23 seconds
process_config_recovery: set IP address and config to default 10.0.0.1
process_config_recovery: image recovery
image_recovery: Download default IOS tar image tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g1-k9w7-tar.default

Don't you see any indication of those msg ?

You can try other method as well. (something like below)

AP5475.d0f5.2ee7#debug capwap console cli

AP5475.d0f5.2ee7#conf t
AP5475.d0f5.2ee7(config)#ip default-gateway 10.0.0.1
AP5475.d0f5.2ee7(config)#int g0
AP5475.d0f5.2ee7(config-if)#ip address 10.0.0.2 255.0.0.0
AP5475.d0f5.2ee7(config-if)#no sh

AP5475.d0f5.2ee7#ping 10.0.0.1
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.0.0.1, timeout is 2 seconds: !!!!!

AP5475.d0f5.2ee7#archive download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp://10.0.0.2/ap3g1-k9w7-tar.153-3.JD17.tar

HTH

Rasika

There has been no console output at all from the AP. So I haven't been connecting the console cable.

Can you confirm PuTTY settings or recommend a different console client?

I shall also re-run the process with the console cable connected (and re-run again if it proves that the PuTTY settings need a tweak)

What does the TFTP error message mean?

Also I have *not* been able to ping the AP on the 10.0.0.1 address from the "TFTP server PC" -0 is this significant?

I would check this console cable with any other Cisco device (router or switch) & make sure it is not a problem with the cable first

Rasika

Hi Rasika,

Re the console cable: Good advice but it's been used OK with other Cisco devices without issue. I can move it from a switch that provided console in/output into the AP and I get nothing - then connect the switch back and I get input output ok...

I was wondering whether these APs were bricked..? Then I had a bit of a breakthrough!

I have tried Windows PC with tftp64 and Solar Winds, and Ubuntu with atftpd

Ubuntu (live) with atftp server running outside inetd:

ubuntu tftp setup

with logging level set to "7" seemed to provide the most helpful information.

Method:

1) Ubuntu PC with ATFTPD installed and the appropriately named image file in TFTP root folder - again with (chmod 644) read perms. Eth port IP 10.0.0.2/255.0.0.0 .

2) Cisco 1262N AP direct connect with indy power supply (not PoE)

3) a)Power up AP while holding "reset" button

b) AP indictator will briefly flash green then flash just blue for about 20 seconds

c) After the 20 second the indicator will be solid red - now release the "reset" button

4) The indicator will then flash green for 10 to 20 minutes - during this time the ATFTPD logs will show that the image file is "serving" and no other messages during the transfer - be patient.

5) The indicator will finally turn solid yellow which means that the transfer is complete - the ATFTPD logs should confirm this stating "End of transfer"

6) Five minutes later the indicator is solid green - which I believe is the image has been installed on the AP.

7) Connect the AP to a network with DHCP - find the address and configure at you like.

My outstanding questions are...

1) The console not working is strange - it's either a fault or a setting - what do you think?

2) The above process worked - is there anything you need to add/modify so I can mark a response of yours as an accepted solution? 

The next thing I have to do is configure the APs

Best regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

I am glad you finally got it converted. Not exactly sure why you had that trouble with console connection.

Regarding configuration you can go with following basic configs (Replace <xxxx> in below config with what you want).  Once configured you can plug this to DHCP enabled port & you ready with your wireless.

hostname <AP_Name>
!
dot11 ssid <SSID_Name>
   authentication open
   authentication key-management wpa version 2
   guest-mode
   wpa-psk ascii <SSID_Password>
!
interface Dot11Radio0
 ssid <SSID_Name>
 no shutdown
!
interface Dot11Radio1
 channel width 40-above
 ssid <SSID_Name>
 no shutdown
!
interface BVI1
 ip address dhcp
!
end
write memory

HTH

Rasika

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card