Views
Helpful
Replies

Site Surevy

kaso_baxtiar
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have seen this site survey kit for a while which is attached to the post and I was wondering why they use external antennas connected to Cisco AP ? in site survey operation,

the old fashion site survey I have seen was to leave APOS without external antennas and leave it in places and go around to test how far can it reach and concentrate on RSSI from the receiver site but according to this setup he has been using Omni directional antennas and patch antennas as the external antennas simultaneously.

in which practical case it's required to use external antennas with cisco AP?

will it still use the internal antenna of AP in such a case? or it will pass the signal directly to external antennas ?

I want to get the concept and operation of this setup.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards,

4 Replies 4

ammahend
VIP
VIP

AP on stick survey is actual simulation of how the coverage will look like if the proposed AP is deployed. There is no set rule that says only internal antenna AP should be used, you use AP best suited for that environment. For example for doing survey for major airport we used a mixed of  1500 Series AP with omnidirectional and patch antennas, and 3800s with both wide and narrow patch antennas as well as internal antenna. All based on what kind of area we were trying to cover

-hope this helps-

@ammahend  thanks for the reply

so in such a case both the internal antenna of AP and the external work together?

and can we say we use external antennas to meet the coverage requirements of the environment ?

I cannot comment on your exact environment because I don’t know about it however using both external patch and Omni on the same AP is not that uncommon for many used cases, using such combination depending on area you’re trying to cover. For e.g There can be situations where you can use the patch antenna on the backhaul mesh and Omni antenna to provide coverage

-hope this helps-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I want to see the complete picture.  The picture taker only focused on the AP and two antennas.  No effort was made to focus on the articulated stand and the dolly (assembly).  

Look at the articulated stand.  Look at the number of telescopic joint.  That is not a joint used for a low ceiling like an office.  That is a telescopic joint that can go really, really high.  

I want to see what type of battery is used.  I also want to see if that seat is "attached" to this assembly.

I want to see the dolly and the wheel assembly because I believe this AP-on-a-stick has been "shrunk" for storage or transport.  I suspect this entire kit is custom-made to conduct warehouse site survey.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card