cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sleeping Client with Passthrough? Why not?

GARY HAHN
Level 1
Level 1

I read that one must use the user/pass method of web auth to take advantage of the newer "sleeping client" functionality.  Certainly the same need for this function applies to Passthrough (acceptable use page submission) authentication as well, since iOS and other guest devices leave and come back to the network frequently in some environments, regardless of whether they are issued a username and password or not.  

Any idea why Cisco omitted the passthrough method for this functionality?  Seems like it would be harder to code it out than in!   I would think it to be a database of MAC addresses with a timer that resets any time there's activity from it.  (Speaking of which, I'm really not sure why this feature has the "bytes" parameter... I suppose it could be useful, but most of the time "ANY" activity should do the trick...   I just want to keep a device authenticated all day, regardless if the user wanders off campus for lunch or if his device drops into a sleep state.

1 Reply 1

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Cisco might have updated it's functionality and replaced with others.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card