cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow сlient roaming when HREAP used (local swithing)

valeriy.nebogin
Level 1
Level 1

We have standart  wireless deployment with 24 APs (1240G model) and wireless controller 4402-25 placed on same site.

Most of clients (WMS RF terminals ) works with one  WLAN (WPA2-PSK)  and  constantly roam over warehouse , and that works great.

But for better survivability(when controller dies) we are trying to configure HREAP on our APs with local swicthed local auth WLAN. And that also work , but client roaming occur much more slowly and RDP connection to WMS APP server sometimes stuck for 2-5 sec.

Disabling "local switching" checkbox  for WLAN make  roaming almost momental.

Is that normal behavior ? And slow roaming are price for controllerless  HREAP design ? And for fast roaming and  survivability we must use N+1 wlc?

I'll be

appreciate for any opinions

and comments!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Valeriy,

I would advise that you configure HREAP group for your access points. HREAP group is found under the Wireless Tab.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Local switching should be okay since the AP will be doing the encryp/decrypt when using PSK. How does the traffic flow? Does everything come back to where the wlc sits or not? What I would try to determine is if it's a certain application having issues, a certain device or just overall all devices roam slow.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Valeriy,

I would advise that you configure HREAP group for your access points. HREAP group is found under the Wireless Tab.

Thanks.

Looks like Osita give right suggestion.

After configuring HREAP group problem resolved.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card