Views
Helpful
Replies

Something illogical with Ap1142 !!

Murad*
Level 1
Level 1

HI

I have WLC 2504 with 9 APs 1142 , and every thing work ok , the config. of SW int. that connect with AP is TRUNK with 3 different VLANS that work with 3 WLANs and every one of this VLAN is DHCP VLAN , 

my simple query her , Is the interface trunk with more vlan work normally with AP ?

and If there are more than one  DHCP-VLAN ,where from the AP leasing IP ?

My Strange #problem now is , all 9 APS work normally , but when i want add another APs this mssg Appears on APs CLI 

*Mar 19 17:54:24.919: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!
*Mar 19 17:54:34.919: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

or 

*Mar 1 00:10:56.531: %CAPWAP-3-DHCP_RENEW: Could not discover WLC. Either IP address is not assigned or assigned IP is wrong. Renewing DHCP IP.

i tried to change port to ACCESS port with one DHCP vlan and the AP take ip and work normally !

what i do if i want pass more than vlan in this situation ! like another 9APs that i configure before!!! LOL

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mikolaj Moryto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When you connect AP to the trunk port, it uses native VLAN for DHCP discover message. Do you have DHCP server with native VLAN scope? 

I guess that when you change the AP port to be in the access mode, you actually use VLAN other than native and you have DHCP server with valid scope on that VLAN. For AP connected to the trunk port it uses native VLAN so you need to have DHCP server serving IP addresses for that subnet.

I can see you are saying all VLANs are DHCP enabled, so have you checked if there are any IPs available in the scope? 

Thank you,

Mikolaj

**** PLEASE RATE IF USEFUL ****

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mikolaj Moryto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When you connect AP to the trunk port, it uses native VLAN for DHCP discover message. Do you have DHCP server with native VLAN scope? 

I guess that when you change the AP port to be in the access mode, you actually use VLAN other than native and you have DHCP server with valid scope on that VLAN. For AP connected to the trunk port it uses native VLAN so you need to have DHCP server serving IP addresses for that subnet.

I can see you are saying all VLANs are DHCP enabled, so have you checked if there are any IPs available in the scope? 

Thank you,

Mikolaj

**** PLEASE RATE IF USEFUL ****

Good Point
i selected native vlan and its work .
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card