Views
Helpful
Replies

Stability of Cisco 3800 series APs

CB90021204
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Just wondering how stable the 3802i APs are now in a large scale corporate environment. I heard some initial horror stories where the APs needed to be replaced with 3700s due to problems. 

Are the APs more stable now? Or less issues with client devices? Which code are you running? 

Thanks,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @CB90021204

They are pretty cool. I have a very large high density environment and work great. However, the WLC version does matter. We had problem with 8.3 and worked fine with 8.2.166.0

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

I have had issues also on various code versions but testing 8.5 and no issues. Some of my previous clients are also running 8.2 and stable.

what I have seen is that the AP stops forwarding traffic and either you roam to another AP or you reboot your device and then the AP also. Look at the WLC code release notes. There are still a lot of open issues but also many resolved caveats. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Hi @CB90021204

They are pretty cool. I have a very large high density environment and work great. However, the WLC version does matter. We had problem with 8.3 and worked fine with 8.2.166.0

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

I have had issues also on various code versions but testing 8.5 and no issues. Some of my previous clients are also running 8.2 and stable.

what I have seen is that the AP stops forwarding traffic and either you roam to another AP or you reboot your device and then the AP also. Look at the WLC code release notes. There are still a lot of open issues but also many resolved caveats. 

-Scott

Thanks for the information guys. Good to hear the 3800s are a bit more stable now.

Flavio, you are the first person that I would read about that does not have problem with the 3800 series APs. I am in need of help. Could you please tell me the WLC code that you are running. My 3800 AP are working, but they would suddenly stop responding to client connection. This is a random problem and I am looking for a fix. TAC has not been of much help.

Try running v8.5.x. I have ran that with 3800’s with no issues. 

-Scott

Thanks Scott. I would try that and let you know the outcome.

same here... did you resolve it? regards.

Which software version are you running? This is very crucial in cases of stability issues.
Does the AP crash or what is the reload reason?

Flavio, you are the first person that I would read about that does not have problem with the 3800 series APs. I am in need of help. I have worked with 8.2.166.0 and currently on 8.3.141.0, but none of the codes have made a difference. My 3800 AP are working, but they would suddenly stop responding to client connection. This is a random problem and I am looking for a fix. TAC has not been of much help.

I've been running the 3802 APs for about a year, and you are correct finding a code without major bugs is an issue.   I'm currently running into Bug CSCvi96690, which causes laptops running on Intel 8260 chips sets to be flagged as rouge devices. Cisco thought they had this fixed in the latest updated to 8.5 code which I've been testing however this issue is till occurring.  

On a note Airtime Fairness is still not supported in any release for the x800 series APs. The newer APs and release are a minefield.

I'm the one who got that bug re-opened.  I've had to turn off rogue detection on 8.3. :(

Hi 

Can you let me know how did you disable rogue detection completely .I have below settings in place and clients are still getting classified as Rogue .Some of the clients are getting disconnected intermittently and getting classified as Rogue .

Is there any other setting to disable it ?

Rogue.PNG

Please open a new thread with your question. Also state software version of the WLC.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card