Views
Helpful
Replies

Starting up with WAP bridge

endpoint
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

im new in wireless and have delegated a task to setup a wireless connection between two buildings (it should be on the same IP subnet), app. 300m apart. I would appreciated if someone give me some ideas how to perform this task, what Cisco AP to use, antennas. I do have a WLC these APs will be connecting to. Currently have few extra 1142i AP - not sure if this can be used for bridging. If you have some good documentation links pls share with me.

Appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The 1300 bridge will work, but will not be able to be managed by the WLC. The bridge will be autonomous and that is why. Does the bridge have to be part of the wireless that the WLC manages. Not at all... It's two bridges as how I see it, so if you want something that the WLC can manage, then you need to look at the outdoor mesh solution. These are not cheap either, but if you want something that can bridge and be managed by the WLC is the only product that Cisco has that can do both.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WLC's don't support APs in bridge mode unless they are mesh access point. What you can do is look for a 1400 bridge and use that to connect the two buildings. These are EOS but might be what you need. You can also bridge using mesh APs either the 1500's or the 1550's. The 1500's are also EOS. These mesh AP's do cost more money than the 1400's or any lightweight access point. Cisco also resells the Exalt r5005 bridge which has a max of 160mbps half duplex connection. These I have worked with and are pretty good for connecting two sites together.

-Scott

Thanks Scott for quick response.

I need to extend the LAN from one building into second building:

LAN (192.168.1.x/24) - switch in blgd1 -> wireless bridge === wireless bridge -> switch in bldg2 (192.168.1.x/24) -> laptops

I have to replace a third-party, low cost solution that was put in place by some other vendor. We standardized on Cisco wireless gear so it has to be Cisco (i think Exalt is a bit too expensive). i was thinking of using 1310 as bridge between two buildings but not sure what has to be configured in WLC to support this scenario. What do you think?

The 1300 bridge will work, but will not be able to be managed by the WLC. The bridge will be autonomous and that is why. Does the bridge have to be part of the wireless that the WLC manages. Not at all... It's two bridges as how I see it, so if you want something that the WLC can manage, then you need to look at the outdoor mesh solution. These are not cheap either, but if you want something that can bridge and be managed by the WLC is the only product that Cisco has that can do both.

-Scott

Great, thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card